This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

What Zone Duration does?

Should be removed from app if it doesn't do nothing?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes : 0

Tags: zone duration, timeline zone duration, timeline zone duration, timeline
(comma "," separated)
Melphyx
Registered Member

What Zone Duration does?

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm
bsantos
Registered Member
OS

Re: What Zone Duration does?

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 am
Hello Melphyx,

The zone duration in the clip monitor is used for insertion of that portion of the clip in the timeline (Insert, 'V', Overwrite, 'B'). It is also used as a visual cue when you select to see clip in project bin, the zone will show where in the original clip the cut clip is from.

On the timeline or project monitor is used to create loop zones, or preview zones, or cut/remove clips (Extract, 'Shift-X', Lift, 'Z').

You can set any of these with the keys 'i' (in) and 'o' (out), and if I'm not missing something for the reason you are suggesting the removal of these, they are quite useful in my usage of kdenlive.

Can you explain why you'd like these removed?
Melphyx
Registered Member

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 am
i still no see the use for.
Is there a way/video that show how useful is that zone duration thing?
floyd0117
Registered Member

Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:33 pm
I knew almost none of this, thanks, this is awesome

bsantos wrote:Hello Melphyx,

The zone duration in the clip monitor is used for insertion of that portion of the clip in the timeline (Insert, 'V', Overwrite, 'B'). It is also used as a visual cue when you select to see clip in project bin, the zone will show where in the original clip the cut clip is from.

On the timeline or project monitor is used to create loop zones, or preview zones, or cut/remove clips (Extract, 'Shift-X', Lift, 'Z').

You can set any of these with the keys 'i' (in) and 'o' (out), and if I'm not missing something for the reason you are suggesting the removal of these, they are quite useful in my usage of kdenlive.

Can you explain why you'd like these removed?
bsantos
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 pm
Melphyx wrote:i still no see the use for.
Is there a way/video that show how useful is that zone duration thing?

How do you cut your clips? Do you just trim them in the timeline? That becomes complicated with long clips of which you only need some parts. Using zone durations (in and outs) and inserting these in the timeline (either through keyboard shortcuts or drag and drop) vastly accelerates the cutting process without the need to juggle clips in the timeline.

Sometimes you need to know how a cut, transition, composition or effect will look like rendered (if your computer isn't powerful enough for real time preview), and zone previews serve this purpose. The zone duration on the timeline can be converted to a preview zone and there will be a render of that zone in the background that will play as a regular rendered video.

The zone durations are fundamental parts of the interaction process with clips in the clip and project monitor.

Check these tutorials for more concrete examples:
https://kdenlive.org/en/project/insert-overwrite-advanced-timeline-editing/
https://kdenlive.org/en/project/timeline-preview-rendering/
Melphyx
Registered Member

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm
bsantos wrote:How do you cut your clips? Do you just trim them in the timeline? That becomes complicated with long clips of which you only need some parts. Using zone durations (in and outs) and inserting these in the timeline (either through keyboard shortcuts or drag and drop) vastly accelerates the cutting process without the need to juggle clips in the timeline.

i see, i used to cut clips in timeline.
Thus Zone Duration feature is pre-cut clips before timeline insertion, right?
bsantos
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 pm
Melphyx wrote:
bsantos wrote:How do you cut your clips? Do you just trim them in the timeline? That becomes complicated with long clips of which you only need some parts. Using zone durations (in and outs) and inserting these in the timeline (either through keyboard shortcuts or drag and drop) vastly accelerates the cutting process without the need to juggle clips in the timeline.

i see, i used to cut clips in timeline.
Thus Zone Duration feature is pre-cut clips before timeline insertion, right?

It's a selection. It becomes a cut when you insert in the timeline, yes.

If you start editing longer videos cutting in the timeline is more complicated, and if you need to recut many long clips you will certainly start needing extra tracks to move clips around. With the zone editing and cutting you just insert the part of the clip you need, and you can go back to that zone selection/duration with 'Clip in Project Bin'.

Happy editing!