This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

HSL sliders per color channel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
floyd0117
Registered Member

HSL sliders per color channel

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm
It seems that there is no easy way in Kdenlive to shift the hue of one particular color in a clip. There are ways to shift the saturation of, say, just the reds, but they are all horribly convoluted and require first making masks, stacking duplicate clips to effectively function as an adjustment layer, or other unintuitive methods such as adding some extra cyan to the red channel. Blah blah blah...

What kdenlive desperately needs are simple HSL sliders for a number of bins in color space, like Premiere has.. Is this available in any particular versions of kdenlive or as a plugin somewhere? This is almost the only thing that forces me to go find a windows pc to use Premiere when I need to do more effective color editing (that, and stabilization).

You can achieve what I am talking about through (Bezier)Curves. But it's much more difficult to control, imo. Say I want to hue shift all the reds to be more orange. I can do that In Curves, but this will also hue shift the rest of the entire color space unless you fidget with it a lot. You shouldn't have to do that. What Premiere's HSL sliders are doing is effectively breaking the curve into a piece-wise function with some pre-defined bins in color space (which they call Red, Orange, Yellow, etc...), and only allowing additive modifications to those pieces (you can't "curve" it). This is super simple but super effective.

Please, devs, this would be a godsend!
floyd0117
Registered Member

Re: HSL sliders per color channel

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 am
bump
Merlimau
Registered Member

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:51 pm
This is not possible at the moment. In the forum is a workaround but I can’t find it.
I can put it into the Bugtracker as a wish if you like.
floyd0117
Registered Member

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 am
Merlimau wrote:This is not possible at the moment. In the forum is a workaround but I can’t find it.
I can put it into the Bugtracker as a wish if you like.

Any possibility of it happening would be amazing (I wouldn't call it a bug though?) It's not possible to do, or it's not possible to implement for some reason?