This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Titling with external software

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Theo
Registered Member

Titling with external software

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:25 pm
Hello,
first post here - thanks for such a great community.
Kdenlive's titling tool is rather limited for my use - for instance, I often need to change the font or weight of a single word in a sentence (I couldn't find a way to do that; if I'm missing something, please tell me).
I'm having a hard time trying to import title from other software. My preferred app for that would be inkscape (which isn't great with text formatting either, but anyway much more flexible), but behaviour of imported svg files are, to say the least, erratic. Then I tried Gimp, then Krita (which, if i got it right, is used for many in this forum, but would be my last resource, since I'd need to learn and use one more software). But Kdenlive won't allow me to import either xcf or kra files.
Is a bitmap (png, I guess) my only option?

My info:
Kdenlive 18.12.1
Ubuntu 18.04.1
Inkscape 0.92
kde-camillem
Registered Member

Re: Titling with external software

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm afraid, yes, bitmap is the only option (I hope others will contradict me and offer you better options :-/) . From what I understand, when you import SVG, they are rasterized, then treated like bitmaps (the definition used is the one in the svg file) . What other problems do you encounter with SVGs - I mean besides not being treated as vector ?
Theo
Registered Member

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:23 pm
I have no knowledge to say if it's rasterized, but it doesn't SEEM to be the case. After importing the svg in kdenlive, when I update the file in inkscape, it's immediately updated in kdenlive.
Anyway, I guess rasterization wouldn't be a big deal, for me. My problem is that it misses line breaks and formatting. It keeps font, color and size, but misses weights (bold) and italic. Flowed text is simply ignored.
kde-camillem
Registered Member

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:49 pm
My understanding is that the internal SVG rendering engine used by Kdenlive doesn't support advanced SVG features (like the ones related to text).
So I imagine, the solution would be to you export your file as png in Inkscape, and add this png to kdenlive : you would have the same quality, but that makes the workflow even more tedious.
Theo
Registered Member

Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:55 am
Yes, I got it. It's not only tedious, it makes it harder to edit text - if I could use the svg, I'be able to edit the text and wouldn't need to import it again.
Anyway, I'm now making it on Gimp - I think it's better for text formatting than inkscape.
But thank you for your kind replies.
Arkengheist
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 am
Hi! I usually use Gimp and export as png, and everytime I export on Gimp it updates in kdenlive. Not the easiest but it works.