This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't add clips to project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
allanrps
Registered Member

Can't add clips to project

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 pm
I'm trying to run kdenlive on an arm device with a minimal environment, and I'm getting "Unable to create io-slave. Can not create socket for launching io-slave protocol 'file'" whenever I attempt to add a clip. Opening kdenlive files works fine, along with editing functions.

I did my research and could not find a solution for someone not running full kde. I've already recompiled kdenlive and kio and kio-extras from source. Is this a kio or kdenlive configuration issue? Can I manually start the kio connection server? I dont think dbus is properly implemented on my device, but honestly I forgot how that system works... Can I mess with the source to get the add clip prompt to use the normal file selector that doesnt utilize kio? All error output is below. Any input on other unrelated errors is much appreciated!

Code: Select all
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltopencv.so
  (libopencv_tracking.so.4.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltopengl.so
  (libmovit.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltsdl.so
  (libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
kf5.kio.core: KIO Connection server not listening, could not connect
kf5.kio.core: couldn't create slave: "Can not create socket for launching io-slave for protocol 'file'."
kf5.kio.core: "Unable to create io-slave. Can not create socket for launching io-slave for protocol 'file'."
Couldn't write "/root/.config/kdenliverc" . Disk full?
kf5.kbookmarks: "Unable to save bookmarks in /root/.local/share/user-places.xbel. File reported the following error-code: 10."
Home directory not accessible: Permission denied
Couldn't write "/root/.config/kdenliverc" . Disk full?

Thanks,
Allan
alcinos
Registered Member

Re: Can't add clips to project

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:42 pm
You seem to be running as root, which is not supported. Kdenlive will write config files, and it is dangerous to do it as root
allanrps
Registered Member

Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:07 am
Thank you for the tip! I suspected that might have been the issue and went back and tried to run as a non root user but the application segfaulted :-\ . Here's the error:
Code: Select all
mprotect failed in ExecutableAllocator::makeExecutable: Permission denied
Segmentation fault

I should mention, my system setup is a little weird. I'm in an arch proot environment within another chroot environment in android. The application is actually not being run with root privileges, but proot was run as root to give me access to root in the environment. Currently, my only user is 'root'.
Is there some workaround I can implement to get kdenlive to work as root user? I'm not really concerned about the implications of that within my environment. Otherwise I suppose I need to rebuild my systen under a different user, forgoing arch entirely (which means compiling all packages from source...), since everything has been done as 'root'....
Thanks a bunch for the help, I've been wrestling with this for quite some time. Kdenlive on mobile should definately pay off once its sorted though.
allanrps
Registered Member

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:49 pm
I'm going to bump this topic. I know my request isn't ideal, but I've spent all day chasing my tail trying to buuld a new system to work around this and it's really kicking my butt.
alcinos
Registered Member

Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:04 am
This seems to be a known issue. After quick googling: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-56758
allanrps
Registered Member

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:07 am
While this does address my segfault, it unfortunately also means that my proot environment must be configured without root access, which has compromises of it's own. I would like to run kdenlive from a root enable proot environment. While the environment would have root access, kdenlive itself would not be run with root privileges. Is this possible? Perhaps it is no different than running with root privileges, I do not know how the application handles this.