This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Bezier Curves" makes processor mad at 100% and freezes!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lalegion
Registered Member
Hello everyone!
I'm having a strange issue with the "Bezier Curves" color effect on Kdenlive 19.04.0. As soon as I apply it, one thread of my processor goes mad at 100%, the timeline stop responding and the editing monitor freezes! The curious thing is that the rest of Kdenlive seems to respond well. I can for example open menus, browse other effects, etc. But the program refuses to close so the only way, when this happens, is to close it by force by killing the process.
I work on a laptop with i7 4th gen which has two graphic cards. An Intel HD graphics 4000 I think and an Nvidia GTX 760M. I have tested Kdenlive with both of them with the same result. My system is:
KDE neon 5.15
Plasma version: 5.15.4
Kernel: 4.15.0-48-generic

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Lalegion.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Tested with 19.04.0 on Windows and Lubuntu inside a Win7 VM (same Kernel: 4.15.0-48-generic). No issue. As you have tested with both graphic cards I assume it’s either KDE neon 5.15 or the plasma version: 5.15.4.

But I see that plasma version: 5.15.4 had a bugfix: “[platforms/x11] Force glXSwapBuffers to block with NVIDIA driver”.
- Do you have this issue before plasma 5.15.4?
- Try to update the NVIDIA driver.
lalegion
Registered Member
Hey Merlimau!

Thanks for your reply. I will try updating the NVIDIA drivers and will come back to say how it went. (Not very confident thou, because it happened also with the Intel card).
I did not test it before, because I haven't been working on Kdenlive for some time. I did just try the alpha/beta versions but not in deep. I'm a little surprise that in the current version there is a lack of very important color grading filters. I assume it's a work in progress but I thought this version was suppose to be production ready. Or maybe I did miss something?

Lalegion.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Which color grading filters you are looking for? It’s maybe a bit hidden: Effects -> click on the “filmstrip” icon and then you can searching by clicking on the loupe.

Maybe updating the Intel driver helps. Here a link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/en/dow ... -Assistant.
lalegion
Registered Member
Hey again!
My work is mostly on 3D and composition. In kdenlive, I edit the different shots into sequences. So I would use, "curves", "HUE and Saturation by channels", "levels", "lift/gamma/gain", "sharpen", "noise removal", etc.
In the kdenlive version of the repositories (19.04.0), the effect "curves" is gone. But there's "bezier curves". Well that's where I have the problems. By the way, I did try new drivers but it did not help.
BUT! I downloaded the .app image of the daily build ("kdenlive-19.04.0-0dcce4e-x86_64.appimage") and "bezier curves" works fine! it looks like they solved the problem. And "curves" is back on the list, together with other filters!
So I guess it was a matter of time. I still have a problem with the render preview. I did a modification at the start of the timeline and of course I lost the preview of that part, but when I did try to render it again, it refused to do so. Now I can not render previews anymore. It does like it will start, but it stops immediately.
Any thoughts?
Lalegion.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Using the AppImage is always a good idea (and the recommendation). In yesterday’s build the search in all effects is included. I see lots of installed Kdenlive which are not complete.

Timeline preview rendering is an known issue: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdenlive/issues/25. Maybe trying enable/disable “automatic preview” more than ones will work.
lalegion
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Maybe trying enable/disable “automatic preview” more than ones will work.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The amount of work put into this release is incredible. I still have a feeling of instability when working. I think it's natural and a matter of time.
Thanks again for your help!

Lalegion.