This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

View the position relative to the beginning of the clip

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ITicDigger
Registered Member
How to view the position relative to the beginning of the audio clip?
That is: if you take an audio clip and place it on the timeline, how can I find out the time of an arbitrary point of this audio clip? It is the time relative to the start of this audio clip and not the time relative to the start of the entire project.
Is there such a function?
I often need this when I edit the background music for a video in Ardour. For example, I put a sketch of music into the project, and decided that at this point I had to add another drum part, and at that moment I really want to know what time it is at this point in order to find it in Ardour more quickly.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Try with the zone.

On the timeline:
- go to the beginning of the audio clip. Press “i”.
- Go with the play-head to the desired point and press “o”.
- On the project monitor hover over the zone (the blue stripe below the picture) and you see the length in hh:mm:seconds:frames.
ITicDigger
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Try with the zone.

On the timeline:
- go to the beginning of the audio clip. Press “i”.
- Go with the play-head to the desired point and press “o”.
- On the project monitor hover over the zone (the blue stripe below the picture) and you see the length in hh:mm:seconds:frames.

I think you meant it, but I have some problems with the display of numbers (
Merlimau
Registered Member
That looks weird. Change the Kdenlive language to English and try again. BTW: which Kdenlive version do you use? If you are on Linux try with the AppImage.
ITicDigger
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:That looks weird. Change the Kdenlive language to English and try again. BTW: which Kdenlive version do you use? If you are on Linux try with the AppImage.

Changed language to English - no difference. The same artifacts with fonts. I'm on Linux, only using appimage. Version 19.04.0. These font issues have been encountered in some parts of the interface and in earlier versions.
alcinos
Registered Member
You can try adding a marker (right click on the clip monitor -> add marker). Editing the marker will give you accurate timestamp.
ITicDigger
Registered Member
alcinos wrote:You can try adding a marker (right click on the clip monitor -> add marker). Editing the marker will give you accurate timestamp.

That's what I needed! Thanks.