This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Run as Root

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
allanrps
Registered Member

Run as Root

Wed May 01, 2019 9:24 pm
Is there a way to successfully run kdenlive as root?

To be clear, I am running kdenlive without root privileges and as a non root user in the chroot environment, but the chroot commands themselves must be run with root for the system and kdenlive to function correctly. Everything functions well as far as I have been able to test, except that the kio server does not function and I receive the below errors at launch and when trying to add a clip to the project. I was able to open a pre-existing project and edit it just fine, but adding a clip fails citing: "Unable to create io-slave. Can not create socket for launching io-slave for protocol 'file'."

Code: Select all
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltopencv.so
  (libopencv_tracking.so.4.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltopengl.so
  (libmovit.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib/mlt/libmltsdl.so
  (libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
kf5.kio.core: KIO Connection server not listening, could not connect
kf5.kio.core: couldn't create slave: "Can not create socket for launching io-slave for protocol 'file'."
kf5.kio.core: "Unable to create io-slave. Can not create socket for launching io-slave for protocol 'file'."
Couldn't write "/root/.config/kdenliverc" . Disk full?
kf5.kbookmarks: "Unable to save bookmarks in /root/.local/share/user-places.xbel. File reported the following error-code: 10."
Home directory not accessible: Permission denied
Couldn't write "/root/.config/kdenliverc" . Disk full?

I understand this problem occurs when kdenlive is run with root, but I don't have an alternative. I get permission errors and segfaults from kdenlive and other programs when running chroot without root, even though I set up the environment without root. I believe this is because the programs rely on system services that have restricted access in android.

Anyhow, is there a way to run Kdenlive succeessfully as root? Or is there a way to recompile kdenlive without the use of the io-slave, but instead using the standard file picker? It feels like I'm so close but this problem is really throwing a wrench in it. Thanks for the help!
alcinos
Registered Member

Re: Run as Root

Mon May 06, 2019 3:05 am
I think a lot of things will fail if you can't access ~/.config, since this is where all the config is written/read from.
Actually running kdenlive with root privileges might be a workaround.
DomeJul
Registered Member

Fri May 10, 2019 9:30 am
Hello,

I am French, i also have this problem and so far I'm not finding any solutions

Someone would find a solution?
DomeJul
Registered Member

Fri May 10, 2019 10:00 am
I managed to solve this problem but another one has now appeared.
To have solved my previous problem I missed the package mit
alcinos
Registered Member

Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm
Domejul, you seem to have a messed up installation. Try the appimage maybe.