This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive's name

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ChameleonScales
Registered Member
OS

Kdenlive's name

Sat May 11, 2019 11:47 pm
I know there's no chance this will ever happen, but what the hell, I'll ask: have you considered giving Kdenlive a more catchy and simple name?
It makes sense to make an acronym out of "KDE Non-Linear Video Editor" but the result, not so clear. The word "linear" has to get its first 2 letters used to prevent having 3 consecutive consonants (Kdenlve) and in the end, you don't know how to pronounce the damn word unless you're in the gang. Do you say "Kay dee en live", "Kay den live" or even "k'denlive" (of course it's not the last one but a newbie could wonder) ?
Not that it bothers me personally, but I'd like foss to become popular, and a catchy name is a start. Don't worry, I don't have high hopes. It's FOSS, the world of love for nerdy names and branding  (Θ̎ᴗΘ̎๑)

Last edited by ChameleonScales on Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Windows User
Registered Member

Re: Kdenlive's name

Sat May 18, 2019 9:11 pm
I, too, would like to confirm how to pronounce Kdenlive and what the origins of the name are.
bartoloni
OS

Sun May 19, 2019 7:48 am
Windows User wrote: origins of the name are.

KDE Non LInear Video Editor :)
Merlimau
Registered Member

Sun May 19, 2019 11:58 am
ChameleonScales wrote:I'll ask: have you considered giving Kdenlive a more catchy and simple name?

Yes, spelling is an issue with an acronym. Do you have an idea or suggestion for a better name?
Windows User
Registered Member

Sun May 19, 2019 8:38 pm
bartoloni wrote:
Windows User wrote: origins of the name are.

KDE Non LInear Video Editor :)

Brain fart. I didn't do my research nor did I really read the original post :). I've also had issues with the name and think it could be more catchy, but it seems difficult to change the name after this much time. And how do you pronounce the name? Apparently, it's kay-den-live according to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93g3RXEA3cU&t=27
ChameleonScales
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:42 pm
Here are some suggestions (I checked for no matching github repos and no matching existing programs online) :

From film-related words:
- ReelRoom
- Reel Machine
- Frameroller

You can give your ratings in this Nextcloud survey I just put up (I gave mine) :
https://chameleonscales.owncube.com/ind ... OqAO9xr32o

Last edited by ChameleonScales on Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartoloni
OS

Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:50 pm
what about : Kutclip (or KutClips because there is a youtube channel -without S- with 20 subscribers)