This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to Display Missing Button in Status Bar

Tags: bugs, split audio, status bar bugs, split audio, status bar bugs, split audio, status bar
(comma "," separated)
BaskomWelford
Registered Member
Hello everyone.

I have been using Kdenlive professionally for a year at my company and have been enjoying cleanliness of the 19.04 releases. During my most recent project I ran into a slight problem that I am hoping someone can advise me on what to correct. According to videos I've seen online there should be a button in the status bar to disable the automatic audio and video split. This option does not appear for me on either my work KDE Neon machine and my home Antergros desktop. Both are running the latest version of Kdenlive. I have included a pictures of my current status bar here: https://cloud.heritagerd.com/index.php/ ... PkBXr5WppL The icon with the film strip and the waveform is missing. Is there something that I need to adjust in my settings to make it appear? Or is there something in the track compositing options that I need to select first? Thanks.

P.S. as a sample of some of the work we are doing in Kden, here is a music video we put together for one of our restoration projects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAYajBzjTY
Merlimau
Registered Member
19.04 split video and audio onto separate tracks by design.

What you can do is put either video or audio on the timeline. 2 ways for doing this:
- clip monitor -> hover over the bottom left corner and you see 2 icons for video/audio.
- Project bin -> hover over the clip and you see the same 2 icons for video/audio.

Almost all new features are listed here: https://kdenlive.org/en/2019/04/kdenliv ... -released/.

BTW: I saw your video a couple of weeks ago. Really cool idea. I assume it has taken ages to make it.
BaskomWelford
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:19.04 split video and audio onto separate tracks by design.

What you can do is put either video or audio on the timeline. 2 ways for doing this:
- clip monitor -> hover over the bottom left corner and you see 2 icons for video/audio.
- Project bin -> hover over the clip and you see the same 2 icons for video/audio.

BTW: I saw your video a couple of weeks ago. Really cool idea. I assume it has taken ages to make it.

Yeah it did take a few weeks to make, the timing was a bit of an issue due to a bug with the vidstablizer (it kept shrinking the size of the effected clips).

I guess I wouldn't have much of a problem with the audio/video automatic split if it didn't give a loud warning sound and an error message whenever a clip is dragged into my project. You know how if you want to do complicated overlays it takes a few layered video tracks to put everything in the same area of the timeline? Because of the fact that all these tracks are video tracks Kden gives me a 'no viable track for split operation' warning and a shrill alert each time I try to add a clip. There is an open audio track lower down, but the clip does not automatically split into it because it wants the same number of audio tracks as there are video. Its a little cumbersome to keep making audio tracks and muting them for each clip added into an overlay. Is there another method of handling this where audio just goes into the nearest empty slot rather than say going for Audio Track 6 from Video track 6? (it would be nice if it went to Track 1 if that was empty).
Merlimau
Registered Member
There is an issue open that missing audio tracks should automatically be created: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdenlive/issues/199.

But in your case you have several possibilities:

Only adding the video to the timeline. In the project bin (hover over the clip and you see an audio and video icon) or in the clip monitor (hover over the bottom left corner and you see an audio and video icon), hold the video icon and drag the video to the desired track.

Using the target track indicator for placing clips (on the track header the green vertical stripe on the left). You can change the target track of video and audio by clicking into the vertical bar or by shortkey: move with up/down arrow key to the desired track and press Shift+t.

Change to the project bin by pressing t.

Select desired clip. Press v or b and the clip will go to the target track you selected before. You can set in/out points in the clip monitor and press v or b and just the selected timeline zone get inserted into the timeline. Or make only a video track as target thrack and by press v or b the video only gets added to the timeline.

Or make only a video track as target thrack and by press v or b the video only gets added to the timeline.

Later on: If you like to have the audio from the video as well, select the video clip: goto timeline -> current clip -> split audio, and if an audio target track is activated the audio goes on that track.
BaskomWelford
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:There is an issue open that missing audio tracks should automatically be created: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdenlive/issues/199.

But in your case you have several possibilities:

Only adding the video to the timeline. In the project bin (hover over the clip and you see an audio and video icon) or in the clip monitor (hover over the bottom left corner and you see an audio and video icon), hold the video icon and drag the video to the desired track.

Using the target track indicator for placing clips (on the track header the green vertical stripe on the left). You can change the target track of video and audio by clicking into the vertical bar or by shortkey: move with up/down arrow key to the desired track and press Shift+t.

Change to the project bin by pressing t.

Select desired clip. Press v or b and the clip will go to the target track you selected before. You can set in/out points in the clip monitor and press v or b and just the selected timeline zone get inserted into the timeline. Or make only a video track as target thrack and by press v or b the video only gets added to the timeline.

Or make only a video track as target thrack and by press v or b the video only gets added to the timeline.

Later on: If you like to have the audio from the video as well, select the video clip: goto timeline -> current clip -> split audio, and if an audio target track is activated the audio goes on that track.

Thank you for the information. I will give all this a try in the next project we are starting today!