This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transcoding 4k to intermediate DNxH?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edjski
Registered Member
In kdenlive as I have it installed, there are DNxHD transcoding profiles for creating HD (1080 and 720) files but no DNxHD or DNxHR (I believe DNxHD is not for 4k resolution) -or equivalent for 4k files.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for creating or downloading 4k render/transcode profiles?

My 4k footage is from a GoPro Hero 5 and a Parrot Anafi (if that helps). Happy to provide more data if necessary.

Thanks!

Ed
edjski
Registered Member
Just following up to see if anyone has thoughts on this.
I use a combination of kdenlive and DaVinci Resolve. Resolve won't handle the MP4 files created by the GoPro or Anafi so I need to transcode.
Kdenlive transcodes 1080p easily enough but I don't see an option for higher resolution transcoding.

Ed
edjski
Registered Member
Just thought I'd reply to my own post.

So nothing from Kdenlive but fortunately I'm able to accomplish my goal with FFMPEG:

ffmpeg -i <file.MP4> -c:v dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hq -pix_fmt yuv422p -c:a pcm_s16le <file>.mov
bartoloni
OS
and what about QUALITY and SIZE of output ? (very interested)
edjski
Registered Member
and what about QUALITY and SIZE of output ? (very interested)

Visually, image seems to be identical. Regarding output file size, it is much larger than the input file size. Regarding image size (resolution), output is the same as input.

I am using this to transcode Parrot Anafi 4k footage which doesn't record audio so for such footage I will use "-an" in place of "-c:a pcm_s16le" which results in an output without audio.

FWIW, my only reason for doing this is to be able to use my Anafi footage in DaVinci Resolve. Otherwise I wouldn't spend extra time converting a small file into a much larger file!