This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Exporting a .TS file -> too large file sizes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
benjia
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm using kdenlive lately to create video files that will end up on the web.

When I export as mp4 / h264 1080p, 30fps then a file is for example 500mb. When I then convert that mp4 manually with my own program to a .TS file, the file shrinks about 50% of its size. If the mp4 is 500mb, the .ts file will become about 250mb.

I'm trying to save some time here, and export directly from my project to a .ts file (using zone rendering). Unfortunately the -~50% file size loss is not the case, it is the same size as the mp4.

Does anyone know how I can export to .ts the efficient way?

Regards,

B.
capslock
Registered Member
OS
The filesize of a video depends on the bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the bigger the file and the better the quality.

If you check the bitrates (e.g. using ffprobe on the command line) of your mp4 and transcoded .ts file you will see that the bitrate of the .ts file will be about half of the mp4 file. You can directly get a 250MB file from kdenlive, when you set the bitrate appropriately.
benjia
Registered Member
capslock wrote:The filesize of a video depends on the bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the bigger the file and the better the quality.

If you check the bitrates (e.g. using ffprobe on the command line) of your mp4 and transcoded .ts file you will see that the bitrate of the .ts file will be about half of the mp4 file. You can directly get a 250MB file from kdenlive, when you set the bitrate appropriately.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I have downloaded VLC player to check the bitrates.

I don't know which bitrate is the bitrate I see when I export. In VLC statistics I see inputbitrate and bitrate of contents (translated, the wording can be a bit different).

Here are the stats:
mp4:
Mediumdatasize: 2990KiB
Inputbitrate: 15670 kb/s
Demuxed datasize: 2983 KiB
Bitrate of contents: 16541 kb/s

For the .ts export it is:
4681 KiB
27836 kb/s
2981 KiB
14804 kb/s

For the .ts converted from mp4 it is:
990 KiB
5692 kb/s
763 KiB
4010 kb/s

If you could point me out to which number I should be looking, that would be of great help.

Thanks!
capslock
Registered Member
OS
It looks as if your mp4 file has a bitrate of 5692 kb/s. You can try to render a portion of your timeline and adjust the render bitrate to about 5700 kb/s. Try a few times and find your compromise between filesize and quality. :-)
benjia
Registered Member
capslock wrote:It looks as if your mp4 file has a bitrate of 5692 kb/s. You can try to render a portion of your timeline and adjust the render bitrate to about 5700 kb/s. Try a few times and find your compromise between filesize and quality. :-)

You think it is the input bitrate?

Thanks man, you are helping me bigtime! :)

---

edit: If the bitrate is input bitrate, is that this bitrate in the .sh file?
vb=12000k
Do you recommend me to change it to vb=5700k?

---

Alright, I tested a file at vb=5700k.
Results: Filesize is 50% of the ts from earlier.
2722 KiB
17434 kb/s
1416 KiB
7060 kb/s

last question. I have a profile that I use to export to .360p, the strange thing is that it switches from 30fps to 25fps and the movie starts to flicker a bit. How can I set it to 30 fps?
capslock
Registered Member
OS
benjia wrote:last question. I have a profile that I use to export to .360p, the strange thing is that it switches from 30fps to 25fps and the movie starts to flicker a bit. How can I set it to 30 fps?

I am sorry, I can not help you in this issue.