This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suggestion: Relative positions and times in project files

Tags: suggestion suggestion suggestion
(comma "," separated)
fsckdsk
Registered Member
When changing the resolution or framerate of a KDEnlive video project, it could corrupt the project.

Therefore, I have the following feature suggestions:

• Allow to save project files optionally with relative values (e.g. elements positions in percents instead of pixels; times in microseconds instead of frames)
  • Ability to convert the absolute format (px, frame) to the relative (%, µs) and vice versa.
That new format, if unsupported by current KDEnlive versions, could have a new file extension such as “.kdlv” or “.kdv” or “.kdlp”.

(I guess microseconds are needed for accuracy, because the lowest common multiple of all common framerates is 600, not 1000.)
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
We already moved to framerate independent timecodes last year (almost sure it is here at least since 19.04).
For resolution independent coordinates, there is some work to be done in MLT, in the todo list...
So your feature request is already acknowledged ;)
fsckdsk
Registered Member

Thanks alot.

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:16 am
vpinon wrote:Hello,
We already moved to framerate independent timecodes last year (almost sure it is here at least since 19.04).
For resolution independent coordinates, there is some work to be done in MLT, in the todo list...
So your feature request is already acknowledged ;)

Oh, thanks.

My version is 18.08.3, not the newest. Maybe I should update.

I guess the older versions are incompatible to the new time code format.

Nevertheless, thank you for all the great work.
fsckdsk
Registered Member

High priority

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:29 am
I suggest this feature (relative positions) as a high priority, because it is a vital feature to be able to upgrade one's video projects.

I would like to upgrade some 480p and 720p projects to 2160p and 60fps.