This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Make clip fit monitor window

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
phil_n
Registered Member

Make clip fit monitor window

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:47 am
Hi all. How do you make the view in the clip/project monitor fit the monitor? Whenever I've opened a clip before it's always filled the monitor but this time it only covers a corner of it. When I added a title the title fit the whole thing.

Thanks.
bartoloni
OS

Re: Make clip fit monitor window

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:48 am
if you start a 4:3 project (or a 16:9) .. by accept resolutions switch when placing a clip on project bin, and after that you place another clip with a different resolution (custom or a geometry form factor different from the project geometry) the added clip on timeline looks with vertical or horizontal black bands (to fit the final rendering geometry)

you have "Transform" "composite" "composite and transform" "zoom and position" tools to increase video size to make it fit perfectly the size of the rendering preview.

if you are using all the same geometry clips (16:9 for example) and you see black bands this mean that you started the project with a wrong geometry (maybe adding a JPG or a BMP as a first item and accepting the switch to new format)
phil_n
Registered Member

Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:05 am
Thanks, but what I mean is the title clip that I made is now bigger than the main project clip. (The project clip started out 852 x 480 but Kdenlive converted it to 856 x480 when it was imported to the project bin.) After the main clip and the title are added to the timeline (on separate tracks) the title is bigger than the main clip, as seen in the project monitor. I haven't run into this before and have no idea how to make them the same size like they have been in other projects.
bartoloni
OS

Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:14 am
do you have an image of the issue? maybe compared with an image of a previous project (with right size)
phil_n
Registered Member

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:10 pm
I think what I've managed to do is capture a 4:3 video into a 16:9 frame and what I thought was a lack of display in the monitor window was actually black 'filler' being displayed between the 4:3 video size (inside the 16:9 frame) and the 16:9 display size. Does that make any sense?

As a quick and dirty hack I'm going to try running it through some software and crop off the black so all that's left is the 4:3 and see what happens.
bartoloni
OS

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:34 am
if you want to do a CUSTOM-SIZE rendering you can do that very fast...

i just do a test using a completely custom video 1920x450 (that is not any type of video standard) ..and i rendered a 1920x450 output (that has no bands of any type... is played with VLC with the rectangular shape of player and not 16:9 or 4:3 form factor)

place as a first clip of your project the CUSTOM size clip.. ( 852x480 ) and accept the project resolution switch... (STEP 1)
make your editing.. and when saving the project, just choice a customized output using RESCALE... (STEP 2)

for what you are saying about the (bad) importing from 852 x 480 to 856 x480 . i never seens something like that... and this can be a bug... can you provide a link from where is possibile to download the 852x480 footage?
phil_n
Registered Member

Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 am
Thanks for your detailed reply, unfortunately I am a total newby when it comes to video capturing/editing and have no idea about posting video clips. The 852x480 seems to be the native output size of the EasyCap usb capture device.

I have managed to work with it by cropping off the black on the right and bottom and then it adjusts itself to the monitor window and the title clip appears as an appropriate size.
bartoloni
OS

Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:57 am
phil_n wrote:Thanks for your detailed reply, unfortunately I am a total newby when it comes to video capturing/editing and have no idea about posting video clips. The 852x480 seems to be the native output size of the EasyCap usb capture device.

you can fill an issue requesting tests about it on: https://invent.kde.org/kde/kdenlive/issues (linking this forum page maybe)
to post the video you have just to take a small video (just 4-5 seconds to reduce size)

and ATTACH the videoclip to your issue using the "attach a file" button.

when i can download the video i can do more tests on this strange conversion.