This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Capabilities of Kdenlive ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
GregM
Registered Member

Capabilities of Kdenlive ?

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 pm
New guy, first post.
Using Kubuntu 18.04

Over the last 25 years or so I have collected about 150gb of video files from vacations the wife and I have taken.
The last 3 days I have spent copying them on to a hard drive as "avi" files because I fear the medium/camcorder they are recorded on will fail.
I have just bought a Panasonic blu-ray burner.

Here's what I want to do......

First I just want to burn those raw files to blu-ray discs so I can play them with my blu-ray player hooked to my TV.
These are not HD files, they are just large and I chose blu-ray because of the capacity. In one case there are non-HD files pushing 40gb on one "topic".

Second I'd like to do some simple editing-fading-titling on the avi files.
Nothing real fancy, but I do have redundant scenes and "out-takes" to get rid of.

Third, after editing I'd like to burn my "movies" to blu-ray discs with "chapters" so I can find things easier.

As you can tell I don't a lot about terms and techniques in movie/blu-ray burning land.

Will Kdenlive do all this?
If not, perhaps someone will suggest additions I need to make to get to where I want to go.

Thanks
Greg
bartoloni
OS

Re: Capabilities of Kdenlive ?

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:43 am
Blu rays are not supported by Kdenlive (and i think that kind of support will decline very fast because there are a very small amount of players , usually only old game-consoles that can play this kind of storage) and i don't think that someting related to blu-rays will be made on future.

better to use some blu-ray related software (i don't know if there is something opensource... or free)

BTW there was a discussion about that : viewtopic.php?f=272&t=116117 some time ago'... ( 9 years? )

if i can suggest.... place videos on a portable SSD storage renaming the files correctly to understand the content, probably ( 10 years ) on future every home will have some kind of local storage (cloud+phisical) to be used with smart-TV ... smartassistant ... ect.. etc.. but probably ... NOT A BLUE RAY reader. (maybe there will be no SONY at all looking at recent failures on smartphones/computers )
GregM
Registered Member

Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:19 pm
So will it do anything I want?
bartoloni
OS

Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:49 pm
With Kdnelive you can edit videoclips without any issue... the output rendering can be stored anywhere... (also on Blue Ray as a standard video files.. without chapters)
jwt873
Registered Member

Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:20 pm
Not sure what type of TV you have... But many have USB inputs.

I have a 4 year old Samsung TV. I put my edited family MP3 videos on a USB stick, plug it into the TV,and watch them that way. The stick plugs in at the back of the TV so you can't see it. I leave it there permanently so I can call up my videos any time I want using the remote for the TV.

If your TV has USB inputs, that might be a better choice than using BlueRay discs.
jpercy
Registered Member

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:57 am
My process in making blurays:
1. make kdenlive mp4 files for each chapter. and render custom: properties=x264-medium f=mp4 vcodec=libx264 acodec=ac3 g=120 crf=%quality ab=%audiobitrate+'k'
where quality is 15 and audiobitrate is 192
2. use tsmuxer to convert mp4 to blu ray folders chapter 1 is 0.mts chapter 2 is 1.mts and so on.
3. create my video with chapters and so on using Nero and outputting to blu ray folder on harddrive. Only need at most 30 seconds for each chapter.
4. take the tsmuxer files of clipinfo, playlist and stream and replace the same name files in the Nero blu ray folder.
5. Then use imageburn to burn to bluray.

I use this method, because kdenlive does great compacting of slideshows. If I bring the mp4 file into Nero it bloats it to an ungodly size.
jwt873
Registered Member

Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 am
GregM wrote:So will it do anything I want?

As mentioned, you'll need to find other software to burn Blue Ray..

But Kdenlive is a very capable video editor with a lot of features. There are a host of transitions, wipes, fades etc. You can snip video from a clip and also combine one or more clips. You can also add titles and background music.

But, it takes a fair bit of practice to become good at it. If you've never used a non linear video editor before, it can be challenging at first. (It was for me :) ) There are a lot of YouTube videos that cover the subject.