This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

render waiting forever on linux snap install

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
EinHexenMeister
Registered Member
running kubuntu 1604 on intel NUC i5 16GB and mint 19 with kde desktop on amd 8 core 32GB

the distro versions are helplessly out of date, but render, just being old
i like to use newer versions and therefore i installed the latest available snap version and get "waiting" on render on both machines ... tried a few render outputs, all the same ... same project renders on distro version on nuc, haven't tried on amd ... have to say, i'm no expert on movie editing and not a linux command line genius either

downloaded latest apimage version and it renders on both machines

now is the question, why does the snap release not render and hangs ... i would prefer snap over appimage but for now i don't really have a choice

cheers Klaus
kunovwd
Registered Member
EinHexenMeister wrote:running kubuntu 1604 on intel NUC i5 16GB and mint 19 with kde desktop on amd 8 core 32GB

the distro versions are helplessly out of date, but render, just being old
i like to use newer versions and therefore i installed the latest available snap version and get "waiting" on render on both machines ... tried a few render outputs, all the same ... same project renders on distro version on nuc, haven't tried on amd ... have to say, i'm no expert on movie editing and not a linux command line genius either

downloaded latest apimage version and it renders on both machines

now is the question, why does the snap release not render and hangs ... i would prefer snap over appimage but for now i don't really have a choice

cheers Klaus

Hi,

I'm using Kubuntu 18.04 and my older KDEnlive crashed (unknown reason). So i install KDEnlive version 19.08.2 with snap and now, the rendering does'nt run.
Before i install new version, i deinstall old version via apt.

I don't know what i can do in order to newer version running completely.

Cheers and many thanks for any hints,
Ralf
bartoloni
OS
Common issue on ubuntu 18.04, it's necessary to switch to a more updated distro to have appimages to works correctly.
EinHexenMeister
Registered Member
thanks and Hi Bartoloni :

i would like to clarify ... appimage works on both systems, kubuntu 1604 and mint 19 tara with kde desktop, where mint 19 seems pretty recent (ubuntu 1804)

what's not working is the snap kdenlive 19.08 (latest on snap), also on both systems ... from what i believe, the snap environment is supposed to include all necessary libs or similar necessities like appimage, except contained in the snap environment ... sorry, i'm not a systems expert, i do hardware and firmware for a living

have any of you tried to run the snap version successfully ???

if it fails on 2 different system with different linux release versions, where the latest (mint 19 tara and kde desktop) is from june 2018 and based upon ubuntu 1804, then i wouldn't consider it as too old

maybe others have the same issue with the snap install ... again, my appimages do work

thanks and cheers Klaus
bartoloni
OS
I'm using the latest appimage on latest (stock) Fedora... and developers probably are using it on latest ... umh.. Ubuntu?
EinHexenMeister
Registered Member
sorry to reply again ... i'm not complaining on the apimage implementation, it's the snap implementation which does not work
jannamaas
Registered Member
i ran into the same problem (snap version stuck on "waiting" when trying to render, Ubuntu 18.04). For me, it turned out the rendering process got blocked by AppArmor. As i only use Kdenlive very, very occasionally i just stop and disable that when i want to render, which is of course not recommended (although it's turned back on on reboot as long as you don't horse around in grub to disable it completely)

Code: Select all
sudo service apparmor stop

sudo service apparmor disable

then restart kdenlive and rendering should now work.

check whether apparmor is started again after a system reboot:

sudo aa-status