This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Turning off 'targeted' tracks breaks sound on the timeline

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
crodgers
Registered Member
Here's how to duplicate the problem:

Set project defaults to 1080P 60 FPS. Add a clip that matches - for me it's a 1 minute 25 second clip of Battlefield 1 recorded at 1080P and 60 FPS. Left click on the 'targeted' video and audio tracks (V1 and A1) to turn off the targeting (the green indicators go away). Add the clip to a video track on the timeline (any video track). Click 'Play' on the project monitor. The video will play (preview) without any sound. Of course, if I don't turn off 'targeting' I can drag a clip to the timeline and it will play properly - but the video and audio tracks are split. However, I don't understand the need to (by default) split the video and audio tracks. Older versions of Kdenlive don't do this.

If I do the same as above except use 1080P and 30 FPS for project defaults (with a matching clip) - I sometimes get sound on project playback, but not always.

It's been a while since I tried to use the Windows version of Kdenlive. I'm hoping (still) to be able to switch from using the Linux version (in KXStudio) to the Windows version.

I tested some things such as effects and custom rendering profiles and everything (I'm pleased to say) seems to work properly. Overall, Kdenlive 19.12.1 on Windows seems to be a much better experience than the older versions 17.x and 18.x. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use this version they way it is with the timeline sound bug. Please look into this.

In the meantime, can you recommend a recent version of Kdenlive for Windows that does not use the 'targeted' timeline option? I'm also curious why that was implemented when it was not in earlier versions of Kdenlive. It should not be necessary to split video and audio by default. I've only rarely ever needed to split them and the option seems to still exist.

Thank you for the work you've done to date with Kdenlive and the improvements that have been made since the last time I was here. Thank you for any replies as well.

EDITED TO ADD: I found a workaround. My project above used 5 video tracks and 3 audio tracks (which is how I set up Kdenlive in Linux). The newer Windows versions want to split the video and audio by default, which evidently made the sound track simply disappear with my settings. If I set BOTH video and audio tracks to 5 - everything works properly.

I'm still not to keen on having to split the audio (by default) because it may cause placement issues on the timeline with overlaying tracks, but think I can make things work.

Thank you for your time and for reading this.