This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[usage statistics] Kdenlive on what OS?

[usage statistics] Kdenlive on what OS?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:43 am

Linux
75%
Windows
25%

Total votes : 20

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bartoloni
OS
Just to understand how many testers/users there are for the 2 platforms. (forum members)

Note to moderators: it's possible to sticky this topic for 1 month?
farid
Registered Member
OS
farid
Registered Member
OS
@bartolini, very few people use the forum these days. Would you like me to ask this on the Telegram group? Btw, if you use Telegram let me know to make you admin. ;)

jacobseated
Registered Member
I do not have much experience with Kdenlive in Windows, but I can say it works very well for me in Linux, and it is not much harder than learning Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere, both of which I am comfortable using. Kdenlive basically does everything I need.

In Linux I think Kdenlive is, so far, the easiest video editing program to use. I still have not figured out how to use Blender, and Davinci was not even able to run due to some strange driver issue. For the same reason, I have not been able to try out Davinci yet. It is also closed source afaik, so it might be more prone to compatibility issues.

There is a few annoyances in Kdenlive, however, frequent crashing being one of the biggest. But, also just doing simple stuff, such as fading from/to alpha on clips. For the latter, you have to insert keyframes for it, and I just like the way Vegas does it better, since it is both faster, and does not involve messing with keyframes. You simply drag from the corner of a clip to create a fade (the way it should be imo). Kdenlive will allow you to drag from the corner alright, but it will fade from black instead of alpha. Stuff like this just gives users poor first impression.

I still remember how it was when I got started video editing in Linux. For some reason, there is this idea that it is very hard, or not very practical, which is simply not true anymore. Very likely, as more people start to realize how easy it is to get the things done they need, popularity of Kdenlive (and maybe others) will raise quickly.
bartoloni
OS
farid wrote:@bartolini, very few people use the forum these days. Would you like me to ask this on the Telegram group? Btw, if you use Telegram let me know to make you admin. ;)

If you can :) ... can be nice to have some statistics (i'm' not using telegram btw)
farid
Registered Member
OS
Hi Jacob

jacobseated wrote:There is a few annoyances in Kdenlive, however, frequent crashing being one of the biggest. But, also just doing simple stuff, such as fading from/to alpha on clips. For the latter, you have to insert keyframes for it, and I just like the way Vegas does it better, since it is both faster, and does not involve messing with keyframes. You simply drag from the corner of a clip to create a fade (the way it should be imo). Kdenlive will allow you to drag from the corner alright, but it will fade from black instead of alpha. Stuff like this just gives users poor first impression.

I still remember how it was when I got started video editing in Linux. For some reason, there is this idea that it is very hard, or not very practical, which is simply not true anymore. Very likely, as more people start to realize how easy it is to get the things done they need, popularity of Kdenlive (and maybe others) will raise quickly.

About the crashes... which version of Kdenlive are you using?

That is an interesting idea, so instead of fading from black it would basically wipe right? Clicking the bottom corners of a clip adds a wipe, would that be a good workaround for you?

Do note that the devs are always open to suggestions, so if you have any just post it. Also the Telegram/Matrix/IRC channels are always open!

farid
Registered Member
OS
On Telegram we got 66 votes.

94% Linux
6% Windows

jacobseated
Registered Member
farid wrote:Hi Jacob...

About the crashes... which version of Kdenlive are you using?

That is an interesting idea, so instead of fading from black it would basically wipe right? Clicking the bottom corners of a clip adds a wipe, would that be a good workaround for you?

It would be more intuitive if dragging from the top corner faded (dissolved) to whatever is underneath, rather than just fading to black.

I was not aware clicking the bottom corner adds a dissolve effect though, this could probably work!

I always try to use the latest .appimage version, since that seems to be the most stable for me.
alexwhite
Registered Member
Kdenlive 19.12.3 on Manjaro Linux Kernel 5.6

Experiencing so many bugs that I seriously ask myself if I should invest more time into Kdenlive. :-(
(Not the first time I make that experience with Kdenlive, I tried before last year.)

EDIT:
One day of editing is an exercise in frustration tolerance. Kdenlive still feels really buggy. It crashes when I add clips to the Project Bin. Wipe transitions show random errors (like not wiping, but just switching off the top clip). Not to mention the render crashes when I use effects (Transform, Sharpen).

I really like the Kdenlive interface and workflow, but please, please work on the stability.
farid
Registered Member
OS
alexwhite wrote:Kdenlive 19.12.3 on Manjaro Linux Kernel 5.6

Experiencing so many bugs that I seriously ask myself if I should invest more time into Kdenlive. :-(
(Not the first time I make that experience with Kdenlive, I tried before last year.)

EDIT:
One day of editing is an exercise in frustration tolerance. Kdenlive still feels really buggy. It crashes when I add clips to the Project Bin. Wipe transitions show random errors (like not wiping, but just switching off the top clip). Not to mention the render crashes when I use effects (Transform, Sharpen).

I really like the Kdenlive interface and workflow, but please, please work on the stability.

Can tyou try the AppImage... this might be a packaging problem... Let us know.

alexwhite
Registered Member
OK, I'll give it a try.

I'm surprised to find that the AppImage in the Arch Linux AUR repositories seems to be out of date:

What's your suggestion where to get a good AppImage for Kdenlive?

Found it. I've just downloaded and started the AppImage from kde.org. It does look different indeed.

A similar discussion developped in another thread, I hope it's ok to link that and continue there:

"Render crash "parameter 'seekable' out of range"

Thank you!
farid
Registered Member
OS
alexwhite wrote:OK, I'll give it a try.

I'm surprised to find that the AppImage in the Arch Linux AUR repositories seems to be out of date:

What's your suggestion where to get a good AppImage for Kdenlive?

Found it. I've just downloaded and started the AppImage from kde.org. It does look different indeed.

A similar discussion developped in another thread, I hope it's ok to link that and continue there:

"Render crash "parameter 'seekable' out of range"

Thank you!

Did the AppImage solve it?
What is the link to the thread?

alexwhite
Registered Member
Yes, that solved it. No more issues.

viewtopic.php?f=272&t=165100&p=429900#p429900
monbureaulinux
Registered Member
OS
Hi.

I use Linux with PCLinuxOS.
Kdenlive 20.04 and I check all features for a video.
funix
Registered Member
OS
Kdenlive 20.04 with Linux Mageia 7.1 and it works very well ! Great job !

FUNIX - https://www.funix.org
Mettez un manchot dans votre PC
Blog - https://olivier.hoarau.org