This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio crackling in preview when system uses 5.1 audio

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fschwartz
Registered Member
Hello, I'm a new Kdenlive user, and just getting my feet wet. Right off the bat I began experiencing extreme crackling coming from all speakers when previewing any clip or the timeline. This occurs even when I mute all audio tracks in the timeline. The rendered output does not contain crackling audio.

I've discovered that I can make the crackling behavior go away by changing my system's audio from 5.1 to stereo.

My setup is:
Windows 10
Kdenlive 19.12.2
Audio over Nvidia GTX 780 HDMI to AV Receiver

Are there any settings changes I can make to improve this experience?

Thanks!
Merlimau
Registered Member
We know there are audio crackling issues but hard to reproduce. Some of the audio crackling issues are solved. Try with newest version 19.12.2 and with nightly build: https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kden ... /artifact/

In the nightly build check the possibility to change the monitor resolution: monitor -> review resolution to see if this has an influence on the crackling.
fschwartz
Registered Member
Hi Merlimau, thank you for your suggestion.

The version I had initially tried was indeed 19.12.2.

I downloaded the latest nightly build, #302 (reported as version 20.03.70), and tried each of the preview resolution settings as you suggested. However, it made no difference in the amount of crackling upon preview playback.
Merlimau
Registered Member
I checked with the developer. Kdenlive is not configured to play 6 channels at them moment. So stereo is the one you can use.
reanor
Registered Member
Issue present even with completely new clip without anything added... It's a shame, I really liked this software... I hate to pay Adobe 30$ a month... Wish there was 100% fix or 100% work around for this.
Merlimau
Registered Member
If you are on windows with Kdenlive 20.04 then hit CTRL+Shift+, (coma) -> playback -> try with another audio driver. WINMM = Win7, WASAPI = WIN10.
reanor
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:If you are on windows with Kdenlive 20.04 then hit CTRL+Shift+, (coma) -> playback -> try with another audio driver. WINMM = Win7, WASAPI = WIN10.

Thanks but no, nothing is helping. Tried new project, old project, WASAPI, direct sound, Auto... no avail. Will try HitExpress.