This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Screencasting and Kdenlive, questions and ideas

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fuzzyp
Registered Member
I just made the jump to full time LInux, Mint Cinnamon for me, and now I have to recreate a workflow like I had on my Mac for making screencasts. I'm a teacher and I'm on distance teaching for the rest of the year, so I'll be using lots of video with my students.

I had settled on doing the screen recording in Simple Screen Recorder (SSR) and bringing that video in to Kdenlive. Then doing video edits, titling, callouts(?!), audio enhancement (minor), and rendering.

While exploring today I came across the Capture feature and I was so excited, until I ran into the problem others have had. X264 mute works, but if you change it to X264 with audio, you cannot select a mic, and if you try to capture it either doesn't start, or it starts and crashes. Capture crashes NOT Kdenlive.

Is this an issue that is unlikely to be solved soon and I should stick to SSR?

This might be where I contribute, I have a big vested interest in making this feature better. However, if it's not a key part of Kdenlive and not likely to get engineer eyes to fix it soon, I'll keep on my SSR capture path. I would be happy to do some testing for this though.

To others who do Screencasting and use Kdenlive for some part of it, I'd love to hear your workflow, what works great, what to avoid.

While I know my initial takes are good quality, I have good tools, a sound dampened space, I do want to add titling and call outs, and enhance the audio at least a little bit.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Just made a test on Windows with screengrab including audio. It works. I have to make sure the correct audio input is selected under windows.

Screengrab use FFMPEG so make sure the path is set correct under setting -> environment.
Test if you can record to the track -> view -> enable audio-mixer -> on top of the audio-mixer click the red record button. If you get a signal from the microphone you'll see it on the green bars.

I run Kdenlive in a virtual box for Linux and the screen grab with audio crash.
fuzzyp
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Just made a test on Windows with screengrab including audio. It works. I have to make sure the correct audio input is selected under windows.

Screengrab use FFMPEG so make sure the path is set correct under setting -> environment.
Test if you can record to the track -> view -> enable audio-mixer -> on top of the audio-mixer click the red record button. If you get a signal from the microphone you'll see it on the green bars.

I run Kdenlive in a virtual box for Linux and the screen grab with audio crash.

Since I run Linux Mint when using Kdenlive, the crashing in Linux applies to me. I assume this is a known bug, with perhaps an unknown resolve date.

I was curious to compare the screen capture output from Simple Screen Recorder with the output from Kdenlive to see which did a better initial capture, but I guess I'll never know.

Not sure how to make sure the path to FFMPEG is correct, under environment, paths area, those fields are blank, maybe that's it. But what do I put there?
Merlimau
Registered Member
Make sure all folders are pointing to the same base folder as "MLT profiles folder". If you use the AppImage it should be set correctly.