This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to extract a clip to the project?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nbkr
Registered Member
Hi,

is there a way to extract a clip to the project bin other than rendering it?

I edit screencasts quite a lot and I often have video files that contain multiple versions of a single scene. Usually most of them are rubish, for example when the presenter does a typo and has to redo a certain task.

I cut those failures out and want to only keep the sucessful versions. Is there a way to copy the cut clip to the project bin for later usage?

The only way I've found so far, would be to render the clip again and then add that new file to the project bin, which seems rather complex for such a simingly simple task.

Best Regards
Ben
Merlimau
Registered Member
2 ways to do it.

1st mark the clip in the timeline with timeline zone in/out (the blue bar on top of all tracks) -> right click the clip -> Save timeline zone to bin -> -> the clip is added in the bin.

2nd set in/out marker of the clip portion you want to keep -> hit CTRL+I -> the clip is added in the bin.
nbkr
Registered Member
Hi,

thanks for the answer, it sort of works, but I think I'm still missing something.

What works:
Highlight the clip in the project bin, view it in the clip monitor. Set the In-Point in the clip monitor via 'I' and the outpoint via 'O'. Right click in the clip monitor and select 'Extract Zone' => A popup shows that asks for the filename to store the selection in and if I want to add it to the project at the same time.

What doesn't work:
Move the entire clip to the timeline. Set the Inpoint on the Timline via 'I' and the Outpoint via 'O' and press 'CTRL-I'. => Nothing happens. No clip in the project bin, no error message.

I'm using 19.12.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 via the Appimage.

Best Regards
Ben
Merlimau
Registered Member
I think you mixed it up.
1st to do it in the timeline.
2nd to do it in the clip monitor.