This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kubuntu 18.04 and Kdenlive 17.12

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gordongallant
Registered Member
OS

Kubuntu 18.04 and Kdenlive 17.12

Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:49 pm
Hey Folks,

I using Kubuntu 18.04 and the version of Kdenlive in the software center is still the older 17.12 build. I'm fine with it so far. It's been really solid with no crashes
or problems at all. Is there a reason that such an older version is the one available? Does that newer version have a lot more features? Just wondering if maybe there
was any stability issues running a newer version on Kubuntu 18.04?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
It is older in Ubuntu due to the nature of how the distro and its derivatives provide updates, particularly LTS releases like 18.04.

You can get current version of Kdenlive via PPA, Snap, flatpak, or appimage. In Kubuntu, you may see multiple versions in Discover if you have Snap and/or Flatpak enabled. (install plasma-discover-snap-backend and/or plasma-discover-flatpak-backend) kdenlive provide an appimage on their website, as well as info on the other sources.

The appimage is my suggestion as it will be more up to date, and will have all the dependencies it needs also up to date. This is possible becuase these are all self-contained, separate from the normal system packaging. Any stability issues running a newer version will be due to kdenlive itself, not due to the distro or its age, really. I use the latest appimage on my 18.04 based distro with no issue, but I am a noob with video editing still. No crashes for me at all.

The latest kdenlive will definitely have more features and UI changes, but if you are fine using your version, there may not be any reason to upgrade if you are happy.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
gordongallant
Registered Member
OS
Hey Thanks,

I've stuck with Kubuntu 18.04 because it has been flawless with my setup. It's still updating the underlying packages so I'm good for a while.
I installed Snap. I'll see how that goes.

I think I will stick with Kdenlive 17.10 for now. There are a few effects that don't work but nothing show stopping.

I'm about to post a video in the artist section so go check it out if you folks get a chance.
gordongallant
Registered Member
OS
Well, I installed snap and got the latest KDEnlive. It actually kept the old version installed as well so I'm good there.

All the effects that didn't work in version 17 work now in the latest version so I'm glad I did it! Seems just as stable so far.