This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kdenlive "export project" not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sporlab
Registered Member
Hi all

I just finished my first video with Kdenlive and want to export it. When I click Export Project under File menu it shows me the message below. I have downloaded the programme directly from Gnome Software app on ubuntu 20.04
I actually did what it says here "pip3 install opentimelineio" successfully in terminal but Kdenlive still shows the same message when I try to export.

---
Could not find "otioconvert" script.
You need to install OpenTimelineIO,
through your package manager if available,
or by "pip3 install opentimelineio",
and check the scripts are installed in a directory listed in PATH environment variable
---

Thanks
funked up
Registered Member
I have a similar problem so I don't know if I should open a new topic or not.

So I've downloaded the new version 20.04.0 and imported a project which I worked on earlier on version 15.12.3.
It opened and I could work seamlessly without any crash at all!
So far so good.

But when I try to render, nothing happens. It just hangs with the rendering window on:
/run/user/1000/doc/17ed5eda/ProjectName.mp4
“Waiting…”
I think it has something to do with the path. This is not the path I chose for the output file. But even when I choose the path I want, it just hangs.

Problem is, the older version (which does render) is not compatible with the project now.

I use ubuntu 16.04LTS on an Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 8 - 16GB RAM
Any ideas?

George
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
sporlab: What you want is "render". Export is to export the timeline to XML for FinalCut/Première etc.
funked up: don't export in /run, it's a virtual file system! select a normal destination (and 16.04 is completely deprecated, 18.04 supported only through AppImage, 20.04 LTS is out!)
funked up
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:sporlab:funked up: don't export in /run, it's a virtual file system! select a normal destination (and 16.04 is completely deprecated, 18.04 supported only through AppImage, 20.04 LTS is out!)

I don't know if did express myself right.
I DO select my preferred destination where I store all my rendered videos. But it still hangs.
The path I posted is the path it always automatically goes back to, when I restart kdenlive.

Yes I know that I have an older version but I'm the "If it works, don't fix it" kind of guy.
I even have 14.04LTS on an old ThinkPad that still works like charm.

So, is the only solution installing 20.04LTS? All other programs work fine.

Thanx for your reply!
George
sporlab
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:sporlab: What you want is "render". Export is to export the timeline to XML for FinalCut/Première etc.
funked up: don't export in /run, it's a virtual file system! select a normal destination (and 16.04 is completely deprecated, 18.04 supported only through AppImage, 20.04 LTS is out!)

My Q is about "Export Project".
Rendering was OK.
Just want to know what is wrong with exporting. I need it to pass the project to DaVinci Resolve.
werd
Registered Member
This problem has just happened for me:
When I try to import or export:
and check the scripts are installed in a directory listed in PATH environment variable

program version 20.04.1

I needed to transfer my project to another laptop. My cuurent windows 10 laptop can't handle such a big project.
The project was exported successfully. On the new windows 10 device, I get the above error when trying to import.
Interestingly, on my old laptop, I now get the same error when I try to import or export the project.

I really hope this can be resolved. I put in a lot of time.....

#vpinon mentioned this in another thread:
Hehe, not true: I have written an OpenTimelineIO adapter, which means you can convert from+to any format supported by OTIO, FinalCut XML among them which is opened by Première and others (Resolve?).
To get it, try "sudo pip install opentimelineio"
Then "otioconvert project.kdenlive project.fcpxml" (in 20.04 release, if Kdenlive finds OTIO you can Import/Export projects from the File menu)
Note that OTIO has almost no support for effects & transitions (difficult mapping problem), so you can only transfer the cuts...

which means absolutely nothing to me.
werd
Registered Member
Well, after a little of playing around, I got my project to open!!!
Instead of import I used open file and changed the file type to tar.gz
werd
Registered Member
...but I still can't export project to transfeer to another program
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
1) installing the export module (opentimelineio) is not straigtforward and often seems to fail, I should look at it but don't find time
2) exporting crashes when there are keyframed brightness or volume effects, I sent the fix to opentimelineio devs but have to wait for the merge and a new release...
werd
Registered Member
Now that I have successfully exported the project to use on another windows 10 device, I now have my windows 10 laptop back from the shop.
But I can't export the project from the current laptop.
I get the error:

Weird that I could export from one but not another.....
fadilias
Registered Member
hi,

I had the same problem, the same error when trying to export the video of the project. I found a solution:

Go to : Project / Capture (Rendu) (ctrl + Return)

and choose the format ,

good luck
Red is Blue
Registered Member
Hi.

I just wanted to share my resoultion to KDE issues. FYI i'm not familiar with shell command, I troubleshoot using basic install/uninstall computer methods.

Upon first time install and KDE up and running as normal. Before I do anything else, I make a back up of the appdata/local/kdenlive folder, and the 2 kdenlive and kdenlivelayourt rc files.
This allow me to go back to where it was function normally (or Default) when everything is function normal.

If you ran into GUI not loading. Make a copy of the 2 kdenfiles rc and layoutrc , copy it into kdenlive folder in your appdata/local/kde folder
If that still does not work (very unlikely) . Open kderc files with editor and verify the path inside are directing to your Local videos, and Document folder. I have a friend to verify the GUI shell parameters. He said it good. If you make the backup from first install. It should be no issue. just copy it over.
If the kde still not work. extract your kde zip thingy to a different drive. Standalone will work on any usb thumb or external storage. Switching storage will reset the permission access from window policy. I notice window like to change your access to read only whenever that drive is use on a diff device. You will not be able to run kde on read only access. My friend try to change the policy with command. The thing is annoying. It pretty impossible to remove. it change right back to read only no matter what you do. I install to a different usb and it launch just fine until window change your permisssion again. That probably the majority of the issues for kde. whenever one of kde folder access are change by window policy . your stuff will stopped working like it was. I learning the linux now.

Export issues. I want to explain how i think rendering process function. When you render, name the file, choose your output etc.. there's a box that said "Generate Script" What that means is your command to what to Render. If you select partial files or full timeline. You have to generate script for kde to know what you want to export. After you click generate script. Click on the script tab , and you will see a file with the script name you gave. choose the script file, click start scrtipt. and the Job queu tab will began renderingj. This is the proper procedure to Render. Just like printing documents. You hit Cntrl P. You still have to tell if you all pages, certain pages, landscape or letter, color , or bw. Then you print. Samething with Render. After selecting and naming you files, you have to make a script so kde understand what to do.

Overview. Backup the files when it still working
Extract to different drive, or copy a working kderc parameters from a working device
Generate Script for Rendering. It there for a reason.

Those 3 things should fix all your windows bugs issues. Make sure you have R/W access. Microsoft doesn't like people having full control of the device they pay for..