This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

newbie question about "no re-encoding"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ifriend
Registered Member
Hello, I discovered kndenlive and I love it so far, so big thanks to all contributors!
Now I am having trouble to do the following, seemingly very simple thing:

I have:
a) Video A + Video B

I want to have:
a) Video C, which consists of Video A + Video B (one after the other)
b) no video re-encoding
c) no audio-re-encoding

Note: both video A+B have exactly the same format, video and audio rates and resolutions.

Do I have any chance for this? If so, please how?

Thank you very much in advance, and thanks again for this excellent product!
Merlimau
Registered Member
I think the only way to "combine" video A+B is: put it into the timeline and render it out as video C.
ifriend
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:I think the only way to "combine" video A+B is: put it into the timeline and render it out as video C.

Thank you Merlimau! I thought so, because I searched very much for it and did not find it. Is there any reason for that feature missing? I personally find that is a feature that should be available, because much simpler tools, like windows video editor or avidemux can do it.

What about the audio part of the question? Any way to NOT re-encode audio when "rendering". I know e.g. VirtualDub offers a "direct stream copy option".
Merlimau
Registered Member
I'm not aware that you can render without the audio part as well. Maybe FFMPEG or other software has a possibility to mux it together.
ifriend
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:I'm not aware that you can render without the audio part as well. Maybe FFMPEG or other software has a possibility to mux it together.

thank you very much, Merlimau, ic!