This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

GPU processing diabled and motion tracker missing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mahmed
Registered Member
Hi,
I am new to linux and have recently left windows for Ubuntu.
For video editing I was using after effects on windows but now I want to switch to a free solution, so kdenlive was the choice, but I have come across issues dealing with it, now here is the problem,

I am using latest version of Ubuntu 20.04.1, When kdenlive latest 20.04.0b is installed I have problems whether using AppImage of kdenlive or PPA install.

Kdenlive appImage 20.04.0b Problem is that,

GPU processing is in the configure settings is disabled..

Kdenlive installation via PPA 20.04.0b the problem is that,

Now GPU setting is enabled, but there are effects missing such as Motion tracker and auto mask.

Why same versions have different behavior and how to solve it, your advice is needed please
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
This is a packaging issue.
GPU processing is quite unstable (but there is some progress), and not bringing performance boost in all case, so it is not enabled in our AppImage.
The PPA is another packaging effort, which tries to do minimal changes in system, and the tracker needs to rebuild the (huge) OpenCV library with experimental modules; this could be done but requires some time & tests...
So if you want the tracker, use AppImage, and for now, don't expect too much for GPU processing (note: GPU encoding can work in any case, need to download the correct profile depending on your GPU brand)
mahmed
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:So if you want the tracker, use AppImage, and for now, don't expect too much for GPU processing (note: GPU encoding can work in any case, need to download the correct profile depending on your GPU brand)

Thank you very much for your response. I did not get this part "(note: GPU encoding can work in any case, need to download the correct profile depending on your GPU brand)"

If I understood correctly you are suggesting that GPU processing can work even for Appimage ? I have AMD Radeon 6650M I installed nothing special for drivers etc. But PPA version of kdenlive enables GPU processing anyway. What exactly do you mean that I need to download correct profile ??

I am new to linux, please shed some light on your comment. thanks
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
GPU *processing* (calculating effects) requires Movit which is not built in AppImage, but is in PPA. It used to crash a lot, much less recently.

GPU *encoding* (compressing H264 or VP8 etc, which takes most of the time during export) can be offloaded to GPU through export command parameters. But we haven't worked a lot on this for now, you can download some here:

https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/334

But I see there is actually only one for Intel (integrated GPU, using VAAPI interface).
If you figure out how to use your radeon in similar way, please share your findings!