This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

windows: the render button does nothing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
emmanuelt
Registered Member
Hello,

I've installed kdenlive on a windows10 64-bit. I've tried 20.04.1, both installer and standalone version, and also the latest nightly intstalled (20.07.77 or something like that) and all three show the same symptom: the application works just fine, but when I open the render window and click the final "render" button, nothing happens. The button gets depressed, but the render does not start. I've only put a single slideshow clip in my timeline. I've looked at the windows kdenlive known problems and the kdenlive bug tracker, I don't find anything relevant so far.

Any idea on a workaround or trick? I've also removed my %AppData% roaming and local kdenlive subfolders, that did not help. I'm happily using kdenlive on linux without issues.

Thank you!

Emmanuel
bartoloni
OS
emmanuelt wrote: I've also removed my %AppData% roaming and local kdenlive subfolders, that did not help. I'm happily using kdenlive on linux without issues.
Emmanuel

and also the Kdenliverc file i suppose.

you can try 2 things ... execute AS ADMINISTRATOR the Kdenlive main executable.. OR ... jtry to lower the UAC

restart the system and try again.

do you have an active antivirus right now? something that can INSPECT the MLT.EXE (locking the rendering)
ahahahaah
Registered Member
OS
emmanuelt wrote: click the final "render" button

you mean "render to file" button, don't you?
emmanuelt
Registered Member
Hello,

sorry for my slow response now. @Bartoloni was 100% right. Running the application as administrator fixes the issue.

Given this, I guess it's not about an antivirus? That would mean something is badly setup with this computer I guess? I do think something is wrong with this computer, I already must run apps as admin to be able to print, didn't have time to track this down. I do have the default UAC, one notch from the max level.

Thank you very much! At least now I can use the app, although it would be even better if I didn't need to run it as admin.

emmanuel
bartoloni
OS
The issue can be that on Windows 8 - 8.1 - 10 a software not properly installed on programs.. but just copied.. or moved to a system area like programs or system32 or windows or root can't launch another UNSIGNED exe ... this was an issue on first time of 8/10 OSs because a lot of XP softwares can't work properly...

the issue probably will be fixed when Kdnelive denelopers will add a .MANIFEST file to Kdenlive to make kdenlive ABLE to request ADMIN PRIVILEGS by itself.
i can also provide a MANIFEST file... but when an application without DIGITAL SIGNING is launched with ADMIN RIGHT can't accept DRAG'N'DROP files (and this is VERY VERY necessary on a video editor)

i suggest to lover the UAC control... and use Kdenlive without issues... (make sure to not double click on a virus because without UAC the virus can start and spread)

P.S. maybe copying kdenlive folder on a USER folder (like desktop, documents or user folder) can solve the admin right issue... becuse the MLT.EXE is launched also from an user area. (in this case Kdenlive is not able to access system areas)
emmanuelt
Registered Member
thank you very much @bartoloni. Super useful and much appreciated!!

emmanuel
bartoloni
OS
thank you emmanuel :) i'm doing my best to make this great video editor suitable for Windows users :)
steveaa
Registered Member
Message withdrawn - the problem was due to my own incompetence!
highcaesar
Registered Member
This happened to me, after completing a project I was unable to "remove job" from the job queue, then I restarted the program to do an audio only render, and the render project button was not clickable.

I found that the program had somehow removed the write permissions from the application.

So I just right clicked the program, went into properties, security, and added back the write permission. Now it works again.