This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive crashing when trying to open project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joosemachine
Registered Member
Hi there,
I am new to kdenlive editing and spent most of Sunday putting together a video. It was all going well and I found it generally easy and nice to use, and I saved my project on Sunday night (there was no indication that anything had gone wrong and the save seem to work perfectly) and went to bed. But on Monday when I came back to open my project it starts to import the video files and crashes every single time on 56%. I have tried anything I can think of to get it to open but it just wont. How can I open this file and what is causing it to crash at exactly 56%? I dont trust kdenlive now because it didnt even hint that anything was wrong with the project file when I saved it. Is there anything I can try to open my project file?
Merlimau
Registered Member
If you are on Linux please try with the current Kdenlive AppImage version 20.04.1b.
stephenesseenyne
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Me too. But running it on Windows 10. I stop at 48%.

Day one was a dream. It crashed a few times at the start and then it was stable for hours. It was a long day. I finally kicked off the export at 5am.

Day two I just could not get off first base. Every time I tried to create a project it crashed. It asked to switch to another profile, or searched for clips halting at 48%, or simply crash after creating the project. I must have spent two hours trying to create a project, and all to no avail. Of course, I am using 20.04.1.

If there is a similar fix for Windows please let me know. For the time being at least I am using another editor to tackle the backlog. :-)

TIA

PS I am also Linux Mint user :-)
Merlimau
Registered Member
On Windows it’s difficult to work from an external drive via USB. The Kdenlive project file should be on an internal/local drive otherwise you could get a white screen on clip/project monitor. So keep all footage and the project file on a local drive until you are finished.
stephenesseenyne
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

Thank you for the prompt reply. You're spot about the usb drive. Not only that, it's plugged into a usb plug board!

I'll give that a try. Thank you again.

Best regards

Stephen 👍
kausky
Registered Member
I faced the exact same issue - every time I wanted to open a previously saved project, Kdenlive would crash at 37%. I am on Linux mint 19.3 and was using the 20.04.1 AppImage. This was solved by simply installing the Kdenlive flatpak from here - https://www.flathub.org/apps/details/org.kde.kdenlive

I could then open the saved project without any problem. I guess it was just some problem with the AppImage I was using.