This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't open my project, file contains missing clips and files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mayrodes
Registered Member
Hi,

I am using kdenlive for a couple of weeks now and I was working on a project but something went wrong, so I really hope you can help me out, otherwise I think I have to start over and it was a lot of work.
(English isn’t my native language, so I hope you understand it)
I have the files I use, the videos on my computer. I used like 25 files and edited it in kdenlive. I was almost ready.
But I wanted to clean my computer, so I moved my original files (on my computer) to an other folder. (an other place on my computer). I didn’t do anything on kdenlive.
Now I wanted to open the kdenlive file I was making (I didn’t move that one, only the files that I putted into kdenlive, so not the kdenlive save file)
And now I wanted to open it, and it says the project file contains missing clips and files. Kdenlive says which files are missing, so wanted to reverse search, so to put back the original files that I won’t lose what I made. But the weird thing is that kdenlive can’t find the files anymore. I didn’t change the file type, but somehow he can’t find it anymore. When I look on my computer, the files are there, but since I moved the file to another place on my computer, he can’t find them anymore. I don’t see the file when I open through kdenlive. But I do see the file when I look it up on my computer. Can you help me out please? I still have the files, but I can’t open my last saved kdenlive now. And I don’t want to lose what I made. What can I do?

Greetings, May
tsalagiman
Registered Member
It appears you and I are the only ones having this problem. My project is doing the same thing except I didn't move anything. When I drag and drop the project into kdenlive all I get is a white screen. When I click on the project and let it open kdenlive, that's when I get the missing clips and files. It highlights the supposed missing clip, but it won't load it. I really don't want to have to start over, but since there's been no reply in three weeks, I may have to. My OS is Windows 10.
bartoloni
OS
sorry but this kind of issues are very hard to address... can i ask if there are "for sure" missing clips? (moved elsewhere?.. deleted) because if the missing clips are present (on the machine) .. just try to edit the .project file using notepad++ and check the path where Kdenlive search for these missing clips... (and maybe post some infos about a possible error on paths)
tsalagiman
Registered Member
bartoloni wrote:sorry but this kind of issues are very hard to address... can i ask if there are "for sure" missing clips? (moved elsewhere?.. deleted) because if the missing clips are present (on the machine) .. just try to edit the .project file using notepad++ and check the path where Kdenlive search for these missing clips... (and maybe post some infos about a possible error on paths)

No missing clips and nothing was moved. The project was saved, and then when I tried to open it, all I get in kdenlive is a white screen. It looks like it's playing, but no audio and just the white screen. When I click on the project icon and let that open kdenlive, that's when I get the missing clips window.
dojima
Registered Member
I'm having more or less this same issue. The steps are extremely easy to reproduce.

1. Launch a fresh install of the most recent version of Kdenlive on Windows. I'm using the standalone version.
2. Add any set of clips to the timeline.
3. Save the project.
4. Close Kdenlive.
5. Reopen Kdenlive and open the previously saved project.
6. Attempt to render the project.
7. Resulting file is a white video with no audio.

The project renders correctly if you create it and render it without closing Kdenlive, but if you save the project and attempt to open it later, it can no longer render even though it seems to play correctly within Kdenlive. Essentially, it's impossible to save a project to work on later under Windows.