This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New user. V20.04.1. Internet access?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
martync
Registered Member
Why does Kdenlive required internet access?

The program does not start unless it has internet access and files will not render unless _render.exe has internet access. Is this really necessary?
bartoloni
OS
unless _render.exe is not a Kdenlive related file... this is not on default installer ( https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kden ... 64-gcc.exe )

and there are no sources for this file... i suggest you to find where this file is located... when found.. (if this is on a kdenlive folder) delete it... uninstall Kdenlive ( probably downloaded from a pop-upper/adware site and not official site ) ... delete (the fake) Kdenlive directory and resinstall everything using latest installer ( linked )

i searched google.. and seems that searching for "kdenlive download" the first ( payed ) result is something related to whondershare ( and for what i know about this company .. well.. better to skip to 2nd result )
martync
Registered Member
Apologies, should have used the full filename. I am using the Windows version. The render file is kdenlive_render.exe. It is in the bin folder.

I am not concerned that it is a rogue file, just wondered by kdenlive and several of the support programs require internet access to function. kdenlive.exe does not even start unless it has internet access.
bartoloni
OS
martync wrote:kdenlive and ... require internet access to function

this is not true, Kdenlive DO NOT REQUIRE INTERNET ACCESS

i'm testing any daily build of Kdenlive (for Windows) and internet/network IS NOT NECESSARY to start Kdenlive and start editing.
martync
Registered Member
Something strange happening then. Are you using a firewall and is it turned on?

I block internet access. I start the program (kdenlive.exe) the splash screen appears for a fraction of a second and disappears. At the same time my firewall goes of asking if I want kdenlive.exe to have network access. If I say no and block access the program does not start. I get the splash screen for a fraction of a second and nothing else. I cannot start the program unless it has internet access.

If I grant access to kdenlive.exe (and dbus-daemon.exe) the program starts, however, when I try to render, my firewall goes of again asking if I want kdenlive_render.exe to have network access. If I say no the render never starts.

This is the same for the install version and the portable version. Both downloaded from the official website.
Using 20.04.1 on Windows 10.

Edit:
Just tried the stand-alone daily build - kdenlive-master-470-windows-mingw_64-gcc.7z. Exactly the same. Will not run unless it has internet access.

Edit #2.
It most definitely requires internet access.
Just tried the stand-alone daily build - kdenlive-master-470-windows-mingw_64-gcc.7z on a laptop running Windows 8.1. Same. No internet access; splash screen for a fraction of a second and then nothing. If I grant access to kdenlive.exe and dbus-daemon.exe it will run.

Last edited by martync on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bartoloni
OS
this seems NOT AND INTERNET access.. but a NETWORK ACCESS... and this kind of access is necessary to make PROXY rendering working (rendering using multiple PC or network resources).

try to disconnect your network cable.. or disconnet from your wireless connection and start Kdenlive... Kdenlive can work without issues... what you are seeing (splash and closing) is a CRASH of kdenlive (caused probably from the firewall that is blocking the network identification) .. probably on future will be necessary to address this.. and maybe display an alert about PROXY RENDERING non available.

The Windows version of Kdenlive is made using an automatic tool (CRAFT) that uses Linux sources ... a lot of crashes/errors on Windows version are not correctly managed because developers are not debugging for Windows (for now) ...

maybe Merlimau ( memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1080856 ) can try to find where the crash happens (trying to stop network access using a firewall) and propose a fix.. he has a windows build machine with debugger.

i saw also a lot of applications (usually ported from Linux) crashing when there are NOT NETWORK ADAPTER (no one) .. also some Java applications... and looking at the verbose log seems that the error is not managed and related to an empty network adapters list.
martync
Registered Member
Noted, it does look like the traffic is aimed at 127.0.0.1.

Is proxy rendering required or is it an option. Would be nice if it was something not on by default (maybe only me).
bartoloni
OS
maybe on future this can be done.... now developers are working to stabilize and fix current version to have a completely "stable" editor :)