This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

4K video and running out of memory - am I missing something?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
randrand
Registered Member
Greetings,

Before I just straight up file a bug... am I missing something?

I have about 25 4K clips from a recent flight that I did (I'm a private pilot). Most of the videos are short, but a few are 3-4 minutes long. I've been able to successfully add the videos and they proxied just fine, and I was able to edit the entire project (about 2 days worth of work). Un-proxying the videos for final render has left me with kdenlive sucking up all the memory and swap on my system (16 GB, Ubuntu 20.04), and crashing. Repeatedly. Over and over again....

I saved the render to a script, and I'm trying to render it that way (without loading the entire project first), but watching memory slowly creep up doesn't have me hopeful.

Am I missing something? This has worked fine in the past, but my compiled version and the latest app image both just go belly-up. Is there a setting I'm missing? kdenlive is still at the same defaults I always use.

I've had stability issues in the past, but usually from turning on hardware playback. This issue, however, is a showstopper. I really like kdenlive and would hate to have to switch, but this is ridiculous.

Thoughts?