This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive Problem with greenscreen aka chroma key

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zolder
Registered Member
For start. Started with Kdenlive half a year ago and love the software and professional workflow and results. 8) But i have one problem with something i need for a project in short terms.

I can't get greenscreen/chroma key to work proper. It continues to have a green haze all over the image.
Does anyone know the problem and even better the solution?

Kdenlive Version 15.12.3 (Ubuntu repository download)
On Ubuntu 16.04LTS
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
I can't help you with your specific problem but I just wanted to state that the Kdenlive version coming with Ubuntu 16 is quite old. I've been using Ubuntu 16 until a few weeks ago,too, but I used the AppImage of Kdenlive 19.12 without any major problems with Ubuntu 16. Maybe you should give it a try.
zolder
Registered Member
And how do i get those? Are those repositorie versions?
zolder
Registered Member
hgdrn wrote:I just wanted to state that the Kdenlive version coming with Ubuntu 16 is quite old.

Ok. But still, when Ubuntu 16 and Kdenlive Kdenlive Version 15.12.3 were up2date and nowadays once, chroma key DID work proper. So i wonder why now not anymore?
I prefer repository software. Hoping it is some kind of solvable setting prob or some. Although i will install newer Kdenlive if needed.
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
zolder wrote:So i wonder why now not anymore?

Just a guess: Kdenlive doesn't make everything on its own and depends on external software/libs. If these external parts change - and from time to time they do so - and if the Kdenlive version stays as is was, some things may break.

You don't have to uninstall the Ubuntu repo version, you can start the downloaded AppImage (see https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/) directly from yout local download directory (chmod +x). I'm currently still using 19.12.2 (https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/kdenlive-19.12.2-x86_64.appimage) that is much more stable than the 15.x from Ubuntu 16 or 17.x (?) from Ubuntu 18. The GUI changed a bit so don't wonder, but I guess you won't use 15.x anymore if you used 19.x once and made a positive experience. ;)
zolder
Registered Member
hgdrn wrote:You don't have to uninstall the Ubuntu repo version, you can start the downloaded AppImage (see https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/) directly from yout local download directory (chmod +x). I'm currently still using 19.12.2 (https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/kdenlive-19.12.2-x86_64.appimage) that is much more stable than the 15.x from Ubuntu 16 or 17.x (?) from Ubuntu 18. The GUI changed a bit so don't wonder, but I guess you won't use 15.x anymore if you used 19.x once and made a positive experience. ;)

Thank you for your help hgdrn. I'm very pleased with that. ;)
I've downloaded the .appimage. But how do ii get it started or installed? My ubuntu doesn't recognizes the .appimage file and doesn't open/start it.

Btw i'm sure i'm gonna love it. I use it a while now and already love kdenlive ;D but only have (aka need) to get chroma key working for what i want to do with it.
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
zolder wrote:I've downloaded the .appimage. But how do ii get it started or installed? My ubuntu doesn't recognizes the .appimage file and doesn't open/start it.

Open a terminal, cd to the download directory and do a "chmod +x kdenlive*.appimage". Or right-click on the app image and set the executable modes.

Then you should start it by just double-clicking. Please be a little bit more patient, the App image self-extracts to somewhere and starts a few seconds later.
zolder
Registered Member
hgdrn wrote:Open a terminal, cd to the download directory and do a "chmod +x kdenlive*.appimage". Or right-click on the app image and set the executable modes.

Then you should start it by just double-clicking. Please be a little bit more patient, the App image self-extracts to somewhere and starts a few seconds later.

Thank you very very much. :) I'm going to try that next oppertunity.
Really have to get this function working, and with my wish to get that done in KdenLive which i already love (with still all due respect for openshot were i came from).
zolder
Registered Member
hgdrn wrote:Open a terminal, cd to the download directory and do a "chmod +x kdenlive*.appimage". Or right-click on the app image and set the executable modes.

OMG hgdm. I think i got it working. Tested and now rendering for result.

I thank you on my knees! Really needed this to get working in kdenlive. Openshot is good, but kdenlive is what i needed!
zolder
Registered Member
Yep. Tested. works.
I am ... SO ... SO ... HAPPY! 8) :D
zolder
Registered Member
This gave me great oppertunities to grow. Still very happy ;D