This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suggested Workflow With Guides?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bitmage
Registered Member

Suggested Workflow With Guides?

Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:23 pm
I'm new to both Kdenlive and video/audio editing in general. I'm super impressed and grateful that such a high quality tool is available as FOSS. I'm looking for suggestions on how I can improve my workflow with regards to "guides". The material I'm working with is video/audio interviews for a podcast.

What I'm doing now

As I'm reviewing the interview materials, any time we change subjects or a new question is asked, I clip the audio/video, and I also add a guide. This is so I can later note the timestamps of the guides and add them to the youtube description so the viewer can skip to specific segments of the conversation. I also like the guides for a visual cue for the topic of a given time segment, so I don't have to actually play back through the audio to figure that out. This aids in adding overlays, titles etc. to the corresponding sections of the conversation.

Problem

My biggest problem is that if I decide to add content at the beginning, the guides don't shift with the insertion. Now that they're all out of place they've really become quite useless, or take additional work to go line them all back up by hand. And if I were to modify the timeline again... this seems unsustainable. I tried using markers... when I put them on the same frame as the cut, they aren't visible. Maybe because they got attached 1 frame before the visible clip? I'm also not able to navigate around the timeline with regards to markers. Markers don't seem very useful, am I missing something?

Is there some way to get the guides to move with an insertion? Is there a mode or workflow here that I'm missing?

It seems like a common use case to record your intro after reviewing the content. So by definition not knowing ahead of time the length of that intro. How do other people handle this situation? I'm looking for ways to work in more harmony with what the tool allows.

Thanks!