This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Chroma colour select not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bobajobabob
Registered Member

Chroma colour select not working

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 am
Hi,

I'm just getting into video editing & Kdenlive so I'll preface this by saying "I might be doing something wrong!"

I've been playing with stock green screen video & image to try and learn chromakeying, but have come across an issue.

When I select the eye dropper / colour selection option, it just chooses black - no matter where I select on an image/vid.

Am I doing something wrong, or have I broken something by accident? Anyone else have this issue?

Cheers for any help and guidance you can offer.
bartoloni
OS
bobajobabob
Registered Member
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately not what I was asking (I probably described my problem poorly).

When I select the Chroma effect and try to use the colour picker - it does not work. No matter where I select (green background, blue trouser, pink skin etc) it just selects black as the colour to key to...

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I do what is in that video! (it just doesn't work for me!)
bartoloni
OS
what verison of Kdenlive on what OS?
bobajobabob
Registered Member

Re: Chroma colour select not working

Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:22 pm
Kdenlive version 20.08.01 installed via Flatpack

I'm using Linux via Chrome OS (could that be the problem somehow?)
bartoloni
OS
this is very strange.. i have no ideas.. are you picking the colour on the "project monitor? right?"
bobajobabob
Registered Member
haha - yes I am.

I have even tried from the clip monitor, from the project bin, from the menu bar and everywhere else! I just get black slected and not the colour below the dropper location.

Thanks for trying. I can manually select green from the preset options so did what I was trying to do, just wanted to see if I'm doing something wrong. I can live without for now though.

again - I appreciate the time you have taken too try and help
bobajobabob
Registered Member
yep, still does it.

I've also tried running Kdenlive from the terminal command vs launching from the icon - no joy. It does the same thing where the chromakey colour select eyedropper only selects black.

Very weird and I do wonder if its me doing something wrong, or its something to do with linux on Chrome OS
bobajobabob
Registered Member
just had a thought - I dug out the appimage from kdenlive website.

Unfortunately it still does it on that build as well!

I did some googling under different keywords, and found some posts from other users who have same issue (which is reassuring in one way but not in others!)

The problem seems to do it with other colour pickers as well (white balance etc). Looking at it closer (and having read other comments) it seems like it selects the interface colour (grey) or black.

When you click and hold to draw a rectangle, it still does not work. Almost like the program is not linking the dropper location with where it actually is and defaults to a screen co-ord or something.
bobajobabob
Registered Member
one more for now (sorry, I've just been experimenting).

A work around I've just confirmed is to open file in another program (gimp etc) and use the colour picker there to get the RBG / HTML colour code.

copy this over to Kdenlive and it should reflect the colour you want to key to.

Not ideal, but works. I wanted to leave this in case anyone else finds this thread while googling, so they could at least move forward with projects.

If anyone gets an actual fix, would love to see it!

cheers
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
And while you are at it, can you please also fix the "hot point" of the color picker? It seems the hot point is not at the tip but slightly to the top and left of the hand guard, you know where you would hold it if it were a real thing. Don't know how else to describe it. I have a video showing this, if needed I will upload to imgur and post a link.
Thanks!

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
bartoloni
OS
you can open an issue here: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues (adding video)
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
bartoloni wrote:you can open an issue here: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues (adding video)

Thanks, bartoloni. I have opened issue #800 (wooh-hooh) but am not sure whether I should have opened a bug instead.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
bobajobabob
Registered Member
Thanks bartoloni,

I will see if I can add to berdmj's post as the issues are possibly liinked.