This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Stupid newbie installation problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Halvor Raknes
Registered Member

Stupid newbie installation problem

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:21 pm
I started using Linux six months ago. I am using Mint 19.3. I installed KDEnlive from the mintinstall repository (?) a couple of days ago. It installed version 17.12.3, which, following a quick online search, I realize is a pretty old version (it seems most apps installed through mintinstall are far from recent versions). So I now want to upgrade to the latest version, 20.8.1 from this page. That didn't work. I've taken a screenshot of the error message, but apparently I cannot simply insert the image into this post. What it reads is "Feil: Avhengigheter er ikke tilfredsstilt: kdenlive-data (=4:20.8.1~ubuntu20.4.1)". This translates to "Error: Dependencies are not satisfied:"

What have I done wrong?
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Have you tried the appimage from here: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/kdenlive-20.08.1-x86_64.appimage?
When I used Linux Mint this was always the safest bet ;-)

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Halvor Raknes
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:Have you tried the appimage from here: https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/kdenlive-20.08.1-x86_64.appimage?
When I used Linux Mint this was always the safest bet ;-)

That seemed to work. The app shows it's the 20.8.1 version. But when I type "kdenlive --version" at the shell prompt it still gives 17.12.3. And when when I start the program from the apps menu it also starts the older version.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Halvor Raknes wrote:That seemed to work. The app shows it's the 20.8.1 version. But when I type "kdenlive --version" at the shell prompt it still gives 17.12.3. And when when I start the program from the apps menu it also starts the older version.

Well, the appimage is a standalone, self-contained application. If you want to use the apps menu to start it you need to point the entry in your apps menu to the appimage; Likewise, the shell prompt command is looking for the "installed" kdenlive executable.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Halvor Raknes
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:
Halvor Raknes wrote:That seemed to work. The app shows it's the 20.8.1 version. But when I type "kdenlive --version" at the shell prompt it still gives 17.12.3. And when when I start the program from the apps menu it also starts the older version.

Well, the appimage is a standalone, self-contained application.

Is there any downside to running standalone rather than installed?
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Halvor Raknes wrote:Is there any downside to running standalone rather than installed?

Not at all, AFAIK. I never ran into any issue when using the appimage.