This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Error creating proxy files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
garblesnarf
Registered Member

Error creating proxy files

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:01 am
Ubuntu 20.04 lts
Kdenlive 20.08.2
KDE Plasma 5.18.5
ffmpeg 4.2.4
Intel i5-7500 3.4GHz
EVGA geforce gtx 1650 sc

I have been downloading videos from youtube in webp and mkv format, cutting out bits with losslesscut and then attempting to assemble them back into another video using kdenlive.

First, I was having stuttering problems so I tried to enable proxy clips. It just won't create any proxy clips no matter what I try. It throws this error:

[Parsed_scale_vaapi_2 @ 0x55e1b0d38640] Failed to create processing pipeline config: 12 (the requested VAProfile is not supported).
[Parsed_scale_vaapi_2 @ 0x55e1b0d38640] Failed to configure output pad on Parsed_scale_vaapi_2
Error reinitializing filters!
Failed to inject frame into filter network: Input/output error
Error while processing the decoded data for stream #0:0

From what little I could find about it online, it sounded like maybe I just needed a video card. So, I went and got the geforce 1650 and more capable psu to match.

Same problem! Stuttering and it won't create proxy clips. Does anyone know what this error means?

Thanks
garblesnarf
Registered Member

Re: Error creating proxy files

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:04 pm
I posted here first, with others who seem to have the same problem: viewtopic.php?f=269&t=167089&p=438625#p438625 But, nobody has replied in about a week.

In further searching I came across this:
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/fi ... api.76577/

It that case, the issue seems to have been the default version of ffmpeg and recompiling ffmpeg was necessary.

Last edited by garblesnarf on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm
So it seems your selected proxy profile is trying to use hardware acceleration.
Try to pick another proxy profile (for this project, but also as a default option) that doesn't use GPU.
garblesnarf
Registered Member

Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 pm
vpinon wrote:So it seems your selected proxy profile is trying to use hardware acceleration.
Try to pick another proxy profile (for this project, but also as a default option) that doesn't use GPU.

Thanks

I went to Settings > Configure Kdenlive > Proxy Clips and I see it says "Encoding profile" under "Generate for videos larger than". It is set to Automatic.

There's a list of alternatives. But, how do I know which ones use the GPU?

I set it to x264 because that's one of the few I recognize. It appears to be working now. It created proxy clips and is running better.

It is still stuttering a bit. But, that's probably another issue. Thanks!
xyliavandyck
Registered Member

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:46 pm
Hmm, that's pretty weird, actually. I never had any issues creating a proxy file. Are you sure you did everything correctly? But did you really try to use another proxy file that wouldn't use your graphics card? To be honest, I still don't understand why it happened like that, as I accessed proxy files that use the GPU, and I never had any issues with that. Maybe you just have to use a better proxy server? I'm using datacenter proxies, and everything seems to be working perfectly, and the files are always on the spot.