This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Projects with clips of different orientation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cwbeddo
Registered Member
Hi Folks,

I'm not brand new to editing, however I am brand new to Kdenlive.

I'm trying to throw together some videos for a small music group that involves having numerous musicians on screen at the same time. The last project was done with Premiere Pro but I'm trying to get away from that.

Most things have been pretty straight forward however I've spent ages searching for a solution to this.

I have three video tracks and one audio track in my project bin. Two of the video tracks go into the timeline fine as does the audio. The final video will not go into the timeline. All videos show up as "H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)" in VLC so it isn't a code issue.

The difference is the the working videos were recorded in landscape mode whilst the non-working video was recorded in portrait mode. The clip shows and plays in the clip monitor I just cannot use it in the project, if I scale it down makes no difference.

I've tried numerous different clips and can replicate it on all of them which is a right pig because I've 9 videos to do for Halloween and they're all a mix of portrait/landscape. That shouldn't make a difference to the project because they are all made smaller and displayed "within" the overall video.

Please save me from having to bring Premiere Pro back out..
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Hmm, I am using clips with mixed orientation without any problems (kdenlive 20.08.2 on Windows 10). Are you trying to put it anywhere on the timeline and it fails or is it just in certain areas? If you try to stack it on top of two clips already on the timeline you need an additional audio track.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
cwbeddo
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:Hmm, I am using clips with mixed orientation without any problems (kdenlive 20.08.2 on Windows 10). Are you trying to put it anywhere on the timeline and it fails or is it just in certain areas? If you try to stack it on top of two clips already on the timeline you need an additional audio track.

Thank you, it was indeed a video/audio track number mismatch. I'd removed the audio that wasn't needed from some videos so whilst there was a spare blank audio track there wasn't one of a matching number. It's a bit cumbersome to have to create multiple blank audio tracks to get the exact number.