This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Russian localization

Tags: ru_localization, kdenlive ru_localization, kdenlive ru_localization, kdenlive
(comma "," separated)
egor
Registered Member
OS

Russian localization

Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm
Hi.
I am engaged in interface localization.
I am making a version of a local translation into Russian for a small group of like-minded people. Since the official version is late, and we do not like many versions of the official translation of terms.

I know that the main file for localization is kdenlive.mo
I use the program "Poedit" and take the file "kdenlive.pot" on the official resource:
https://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kf5/t ... /kdenlive/

Since this file does not provide the ability to translate the entire program interface. Tell me please. What other files can be edited for maximum adaptation of the program interface to the required language?

I will hope for your help and understanding.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Russian localization

Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:53 pm
Hello,

Have you tried to reach out the KDE Russian translation team?
Regarding translations being late, your help would probably be very welcome.
Regarding the terms choice, have you discussed about that with them? KDE community in general and the Russian members I know are very open people, maybe they would understand your point of view...
Sometimes it's just that people foreign to the technical field try to progress in these translations completion, but with many unlucky approximations (I now I did such errors in early French Krita translations; I have seen such surprising terms recently in Kdenlive too :) )

For your original question, we usually recommend to use lokalize tool, loading as many KDE modules as possible in the translation memory to help for consistency & speed up things.
As Kdenlive calls many KDE frameworks which bring their own translations (+maybe some Qt-only libs), you would need to go into all these modules to get a fully translated UI. You may end in cloning the whole svn template tree and searching for strings... creating a whole new language archive?
egor
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:52 am
vpinon wrote:Hello,
Have you tried to reach out the KDE Russian translation team?

Hello.
There is no team of Russian translators of the Kdenlive program . There is one person who is not interested in translating the program interface.
The KDE community and the translators of the Kdenlive program are different people who translate.
The KDE community does not translate the Kdenlive front-end application.
The list of translators in the program is long, but only one person remains. With whom there is no desire to communicate. Since I think this person is the reason for the poor translation of the Kdenlive program interface.
Doing my own local translation. I was hoping to find a knowledgeable person on this forum who can suggest the correct method for translating the program interface Kdenlive.

vpinon wrote:For your original question, we usually recommend to use lokalize tool, loading as many KDE modules as possible in the translation memory to help for consistency & speed up things.
As Kdenlive calls many KDE frameworks which bring their own translations (+maybe some Qt-only libs), you would need to go into all these modules to get a fully translated UI.

The main file for translating the interface - kdenlive.mo.
But many names of effects and transitions remain without translation. I want to find the files that are responsible for displaying these names in the program interface.

vpinon wrote:You may end in cloning the whole svn template tree and searching for strings... creating a whole new language archive?

No.
I'm is no understanding of that.
If you tell me how it's done. Perhaps I will take the time to study this issue.
bartoloni
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:12 am
can you provide a Russian screenshot of Kdenlive? just to understand what parts are not translated (i'm using the nightly build for windows that not permit to change language ... Just English or native OS language)

maybe can be this your issue? using latest Windows version? (or you are using kdenlive on Arch?) have you tried 19.x release? (localization works fine before the comma/point affair fix)
egor
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:26 pm
Hello.

bartoloni wrote:can you provide a Russian screenshot of Kdenlive? )

Image Image
Image Image Image Image
bartoloni wrote:maybe can be this your issue? using latest Windows version? (or you are using kdenlive on Arch?) have you tried 19.x release? (localization works fine before the comma/point affair fix)

I use multiple OS - Manjaro Linux / Linux mint / Debian
All versions are partially translated. Such a specificity with the Russian translation. Either the translators are lazy or the developers are not interested. There are two possible reasons at once.
Therefore, I am doing the translation for myself. There is no longer any desire to hope for the official version.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:11 pm
KDE translations are a team effort. Organization depends on teams. Russian team can be joined from here:
https://community.kde.org/RU
Don't think people are lazy or not interested, that a bad intro in interactions!

Most effects, coming from uncontrolled plugins, can't be translated in any language.
We have dedicated UI files for most common/oldest effects (MLT, LADSPA...), that allow translating those; community members are working currently to build such files for much more plugins libraries (AVFilter...) , but it is not yet merged.

Also, we don't manually pick the translations for our releases, we use the common KDE release process that gathers automatically the files from svn. There is a split between stable and trunk branches that can be done automatically, but I see Russian doesn't, so maybe there are also synchronization problems...
Really the right approach is to get involved in your language team ; if the historic translator is blocking try to see with the team coordinator, then with a KDE i18n coordinator, then with KDE community council... But at any stage try to cooperate, understand and respect involved people :)
egor
Registered Member
OS

for vpinon

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:00 pm
Thanks.
egor
Registered Member
OS
The question remained open. Unresolved.

Please!

Don't write about how good and diligent the developers are Kdenlive and that translators are working day and night to localize the interface!
Do not send links where to go to add your translation to official releases!

Read my question carefully!

I am looking for the following:

1. What files are involved in interface localization Kdenlive.

2. Is it possible to translate the entire interface locally. (Locally - for myself. The program is on my computer. And on this computer, only on it, I want to do the translation).

3. How to translate the entire interface - locally. (Locally - for myself. The program is on my computer. And on this computer, only on it, I want to do the translation).

4. In what program is it done.

Please do not write about the problems of translating open source.
That you need to love and respect all those who are involved in open source projects. I understand this perfectly and respect the work of these people.

Above, two people poured water.

And they sent empty information.

Thank them for your attention to my question!

But please!

I'm looking for information, not communication on the topic:

"What difficulties other people have when translating an app for the community, how difficult it is, how these people gain respect, where to turn to become part of the community"

Most likely, you:
- just live in another country.
- You are using a non-Russian interface language.
- You don't understand the specifics of the question.

Just walk by. There is no need to write an answer that does not carry the answer to my question.

All goodness and peace.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:23 pm
>:(
Code: Select all
# strace kdenlive |& grep '\.mo'
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/home/vpinon/.local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kdenlive.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, 0x7ffe35af9480) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kdenlive.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, 0x7ffe35af9480) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kdenlive.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, {stx_mask=STATX_ALL|0x1000, stx_attributes=0, stx_mode=S_IFREG|0644, stx_size=241374, ...}) = 0
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/home/vpinon/.local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kxmlgui5.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, 0x7ffe35af92b0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kxmlgui5.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, 0x7ffe35af92b0) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kxmlgui5.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, {stx_mask=STATX_ALL|0x1000, stx_attributes=0, stx_mode=S_IFREG|0644, stx_size=30777, ...}) = 0
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/home/vpinon/.local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kconfigwidgets5.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, 0x7ffe35af9190) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kconfigwidgets5.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, 0x7ffe35af9190) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statx(AT_FDCWD, "/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/kconfigwidgets5.mo", AT_STATX_SYNC_AS_STAT, STATX_ALL, {stx_mask=STATX_ALL|0x1000, stx_attributes=0, stx_mode=S_IFREG|0644, stx_size=8464, ...}) = 0

so it seems you need to update at least kdenlive.po, kxmlgui5.po, kconfigwidgets5.po, compile it into .mo and install it into ~/.local/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/
don't hesitate to share your work
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:07 pm
You say you find translation in your language late & poor quality and want to improve it, I welcome you to participate.
You say there is no Ru team, I point you to the Ru team (ok, not dedicated to Kdenlive: I inform you how KDE projects work).
You didn't say at first that one problem was effects list, I tell you where the problem comes from.
You express being upset about contributors work ("lazy" and "not interested") and don't expect improvement in official version, I explain you how to find a solution with community organization, to improve situation for all.
Then you say our information is empty and tell us to "walk by"...
Man, question yourself also about communication skills, and basic respect!
egor
Registered Member
OS

for vpinon  Topic is solved

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:41 pm
vpinon wrote:so it seems you need to update at least kdenlive.po, kxmlgui5.po, kconfigwidgets5.po, compile it into .mo and install it into ~/.local/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/
don't hesitate to share your work

Thanks very much for help. Later I will try to understand the
sent information.