This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Noob Transition over background color

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
newfylox
Registered Member
Hi guys, how are you?

I'm new to Kdenlive and I want to achieve something simple but I cannot make it. I watched a lot of tutorials and videos but my case wasn't covered by one of them.

I have a portrait video (from my cellphone) in a landscape project. Don't worry, it's what I want. But I don't like the black background, so I added a track under and add a color clip. Right now, everything is fine. My cellphone video is on top of the color track and it's not black anymore (I chose Blue). But the problem is when I want to do a transition between two tracks. So I added a third video track on top with another cellphone video. Separately, the two clips have the blue background and it's perfect. But when I overlap the two clips to make a transition (using wipe dissolve effects), the transition is processed in a black background.

So here's the scenario

clip2 ---------------222222----- (clip 2 has a dissolve effect)
clip1 -----------11111------------
back bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

the transition works, but when the transition appears, the background is no longer blue, it is black. But before or after the transition, the background is blue as expected.

By the way, Kdenlive is a great software!

Thanks
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
You would need the "Rectangular Alpha mask" effect for both clips and mask out the black on both sides of the images.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
newfylox
Registered Member
Thanks for you help.

It's kind of working on the sides, but even the content (my video) fades in/out on black color. I just don't understand why it can't just use the last layer as background color. Even a simple fade in on blank project with white background will have a black fade in... probably something missing with kdenlive?
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
newfylox wrote:It's kind of working on the sides, but even the content (my video) fades in/out on black color. I just don't understand why it can't just use the last layer as background color. Even a simple fade in on blank project with white background will have a black fade in... probably something missing with kdenlive?

Well, a fade in/out from black does exactly that: it fades to/from black. If you want to fade out to your blue background you need another composition (e.g. wipe dissolve).

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.