This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unsupported video codec: nvenc_h264

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
supagamerr
Registered Member

Unsupported video codec: nvenc_h264

Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:51 pm
does kdenlive 20.12.0 support gpu encoding. I am using a gt 710 2gb gddr5 versions graphic card that was released in 2020. It is a decent card and I should be able to render my videos using it.
bartoloni
OS
the GT710 was released on the January 2016... and i don't think this card be used to obtain some sort of acceleration on video editing. (well.. if you have a core 2 quad CPU maybe yes) .. BTW for now the graphics acceleration can't be used on Kdenlive (removed some time ago' due to stability issues)

P.S. this can be useful: https://200ok.ch/posts/2020-09-07_use_n ... ebian.html
luthriel
Registered Member
Sorry for bumping, but here are my findings regarding nvenc (and GPU acceleration in general) on Windows:

1. If you point Kden to the latest version of ffmpeg (4.3.2) in [Settings > Configure KdenLive > Environment], you will be able to use the Configuration Wizard - it will say "NVIDIA hardware encoders found and enabled". This, however, won't change anything in practice - if you select one of the new preview profiles in the settings of your project (e.g. x264-nvenc), you will still receive the same error (unsupported video codec) after trying to render a part of your timeline.

2. If you download the latest version of melt (it's called "shortcut" on windows) and point Kden to its binaries (melt.exe), the result will be the same as in point one.

3. This article says: GPU accelerated video rendering is, for now, just for GNU/Linux users, the Windows version remains limited to CPU rendering. Similar GPU rendering support will be added to the Windows-version in the near future.
The article was written over 4 months ago and we've had a new version released (20.08.3) since then. Still not working on Windows :/

The interesting thing is that when you try to run ffmpeg in the CLI, you'll see that it does support nvenc codecs.
robh
Registered Member
To add a data point. I have 2 systems running Ubuntu 20.04.x and both have Kdenlive installed. On one I have run some render tests using the hardware acceleration. H264 ABR and VBR, and H265 all work on my system that has a GTX 1650 in it. The second system has a GT 710 with 2GB of DDR5. I haven't run any render tests on it, but both H264 render options are available and look like they will work as on the first system.

By contrast When I boot Fedora 36 with Kdenlive installed on the system with the GTX 1650, the 2 H264 hardware acceleration options have a red X and when clicked show the error, Unsupported video codec: nvenc_h264.

Does anyone know what the difference is or what missing that can be installed?