This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why is my first segment disappearing?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
btwied
Registered Member
I have been editing lecture videos in Kdenlive on Linux, and encountering a frustrating problem: a significant fraction of the time, after I get to the end of the video, I find that somewhere along the way, the first few seconds of my timeline got deleted. I'm sure this is a result of accidentally hitting some shortcut at some point, but I have not been able to figure out where in the last hour I did something wrong. Can anyone help me identify what might be causing me to accidentally cut & delete something at the beginning of the timeline while working much later in the timeline?

My general workflow mainly involves going through a couple of long clips from start to finish and cutting things out. This involves a lot of switching between X and S modes, frequent use of the delete key, and a lot of ctrl-z/ctrl-shift-z to undo/redo. I also end up using M-mode, group/ungroup, and change-speed at some point in just about every video. Any ideas how I might be accidentally modifying the start of the timeline in this process?

Thanks in advance!
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Without watching what you did I cannot help with the accidental cutting and deleting.
For your workflow I have some suggestions:
* Do your first "scan' of the footage in the clip monitor and use In and Out points to bring segments into the timeline
* Use markers and/or guides while scanning your footage to aid in editing later
* Move cut segments you are fine with into a different video track that you can lock later while working on the other tracks
Workflows are very subjective - what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa ;-)

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
btwied
Registered Member
In case anyone else encounters this in the future: the problem was the Z shortcut for "LIFT from IN to OUT point", which I was pressing accidentally when trying to press either X or ctrl-Z. I've now disabled that shortcut, which seems to have solved my problem.