This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive render settings H265

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Kdenlive render settings H265

Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:02 pm
who can tell me how to make a good render setting on H265 codec? Or where there is documentation for this?
I would be very happy to get some help.
Thanks
mickae
bartoloni
OS

Re: Kdenlive render settings H265

Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:16 am
from what i know there is only the Quantizer value... from 15 to 35... 15 better quality... 35 small size lower quality
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:56 am
Hallo bartoloni,
thank you for the quick reply. When I look in the render settings, I don't find many settings for H265 and all my attempts give results with the same file size. Whether I write 0 or 15 or 35 here: Always the same result.
Where exactly can I set the values 15 to 35?
----------------------------
I have completely reset Kdenlive, including the render profiles. Now I find the slider from far left 35 to far right 15, the best quality with very different sized files. Great.

Question: in the "Rendering - Kdenlive" there is the default: "Ultra-High Definition (4K) - MP4-H265 (HEVC)". Is that also suitable for an HD 1920x1080? And is this better than the H264/AAC? Or is it more reasonable to render your videos to the older, more widely used format of H264? I wouldn't mind the larger file size.
Thank you in advance.
mickae
bartoloni
OS
on latest build for Windows everything is working as aspected...
best quality --> large output
lower quality --> smaller output

personally i'm using H264 for my youtube video.. this to speed UP rendering time . ( and yes the h265 can be used for 1080)

use the h264 or h265 ? the H265 are much more compressed without any visible loss ( on this example.. the h265 is a file of about 31M ... and using the H264 the file become 39M )

btw.. the H264 can be displayed on very device on the world... H265 maybe can't work on some car audio ... or some (old) mp4 players...

also.. on my PC (an AMD ryzen) rendering using h265 take much more time (using 100% CPU) than H264... (on an example i take 30 seconds for H264 ad 1:41 for H265.. 3 times slower!)
mickae
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:37 am
Oh, thank you so much for the detailed help. I had broken my settings somehow. But after I completely reset Kdenlive, the settings were back to the way they were with you. Yes, I can now also select the value 15 for H265.
But, just as you write, I now also got big concerns: If I want to play my videos on a USB stick directly to a TV set, I have to reckon with the fact that quite a few devices cannot do H265. My 6 years old Samsung can only H264 25 fps!!!
So, from now on I avoid the new H265 again.

So I focus on the best setting for: H264/AAC.
Clear is: Quality: Video 15, ok.
Then there are the "Encoder speed" and "Encoder threads". What makes the most sense there?

Are you the Bartoloni who makes these Kdenlive add-on installers? Are you a developer? Oh, that impresses me very much.
Coming from Windows and having worked with the very good Vegas Pro for 15 years so far, I am now looking for an alternative after my complete switch to Manjaro Linux. How well do you know it?

Two big questions about Kdenlive I didn't get any answers to in the forum:
How are the colors displayed here?
(0-255) or, as typically the media players on the PC (16-235). Do you know? Where could you set this?

And the compressor: Can not be used graphically with the many compressors from LSP or other plugins?

I hope not to overload you with my questions and thank you in advance

mickae