This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Playback issue MKV [Windows]

Tags: kdenlive, windows, windows10, issue, bug, syncissue, audio, mkv kdenlive, windows, windows10, issue, bug, syncissue, audio, mkv kdenlive, windows, windows10, issue, bug, syncissue, audio, mkv
(comma "," separated)
Klosteinmann
Registered Member

Playback issue MKV [Windows]

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:31 am
Hi I recently downloaded Kdenlive,

was excited to find out that you can directly edit MKV files which is a +1 as any other video editor I tryed so far failed on that. :)
Unfortunately once I skip ahead to far on the timeline the playback is out of sync with audio and playback is like speedup twice or three time restarting the program and setting the playback head to a prior point on the timeline doesn't fix the issue.

Might be Windows or format related don't know maybe someone can explain further to why this is happening? ??? o)
I already had the very same issue with Premiere Pro, and I really can't put my finger on what's causing it. I think it might be due to a unique audio setup where I have to run through an Audio Pre-Processor GoXLR Mini that might cause issues, but how would I troubleshoot that. :<
Klosteinmann
Registered Member

Re: Playback issue MKV [Windows]

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:21 pm
Don't think it's the audio device in question anymore I completely disabled the device, unplugged it and stopped all the software from running in the background regarding it and it's ASIO capabilities. No change, audio is still way to fast in playback here's the odd thing you might think the file might be corrupted plays back fine in VLC/Clip Monitor. So I don't think it's the src file.

Weirdly enough I load the same file transcoded in mp4 and the whole application so far takes ages in progress of importing it. It's 10.5 Gbps in size. What's the matter here :| why does it take one of the format and crashes/freezes on the other one. Seem to be lone one on this situation so what am I doing wrong :'(

Edit 1: Well it imported the file took some time but it eventual did it, scrubbing through the timeline feels sluggish and the image constantly lacks beyond the audio. Memory runs almost full to the brim is that supposed to happen or am I doing something wrong here about 90% RAM usage from 32 GBs. I came from an Intel platform which I used QuickSync is this what's lacking here all AMD platform? Then again on my Ryzen 1600 I didn't use to have these issues. Makes it almost impossible to edit the video.

Edit 2: To rule out any possibility of this being legacy drivers or BIOS faults I've upgraded my BIOS (ASRock B450 Pro4) from the old stable 4.10 version to the newest version 4.50 (2 upgrades in between) with support from Ryzen 5000 and XT Processors to make sure that microcode is up to scratch didn't update prior to wait out potential errors for the new architecture. I also went ahead and updated my Chipset drivers to the newest version from 2.10.13.408 - 2.13.27.501 this hasn't done anything the issue persists. I should add here at this point that I'm using Windows 10 Ameriolated on October Update 2020 (OS Build 19042.746) where I have to update manually the latest Windows update for me is an .NET Framework Update 2021-01 KB4598299. Within Kdenlive I decided to play around with both OpenGL and DirectX (Angel) to see if it work in any other API OpenGL would barely work for me and freeze the entire application. I could theoretically still update Windows to lastetest and greatest version to see if that helps any / update my graphics card driver to an experimental version currently running an WHQL certified driver AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 20.11.2 but after that I'm really out of ideas what to do to and fix the issue.

Edit 3: I've updated to the newest Windows 10 version and installed the newest experimental driver. Same results last thing I have sometime ago installed ffmpeg and set a default path in windows that build might have been broken or outdated and now is used as default by kdenlive and other programs. Current version installed: 4.3.2-2021-02-02-full_build-www.gyan.dev

Edit 4: My PC should be powerful enough to handle editing an x264 encoded 720p / 60 fps video with 6 Mbit/s videobitrate and multiple audio tracks. And I don't know why but it seems to be an issue present for me globally accross diferent non-linear videoeditors. One possible workaround I found a user recommend with a similar looking issue, was to disable the microphone input. Can that be a thing here too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jQyxYFikE8
ckatko
Registered Member

Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:04 pm
Woah, I JUST ran into this issue. It's not drivers. It's not power issue. It's a KDENLIVE bug for sure.

I never had problems before with MKV files in Kdenlive but most recently they do now. I'm playing games that stress my PC and I'm wondering if FPS drops in the encoder ["Warning the encoder is overloaded" shows up occasionally in OBS bottem left] are causing Kdenlive to blow up on playback chunks. Because if the FPS drops, "maybe" (just an educated developer guess) the player expects a constant framerate, and OBS can sometimes not give you 100% frames (because the encoder is overloaded) (think of "dropped frames" but it's dropped frames not going into the file itself.)

> already had the very same issue with Premiere Pro

wait, really? In the same spots? Does it affect the whole video or just specific parts? With me, it's only specific parts of the video.

As far as I can tell it DOES NOT affect RENDERING but only PREVIEW. So it seems you "can" work around it.

Here's my form post on the same thing that I JUST posted yesterday.

viewtopic.php?f=265&t=170051 post
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=432915 bug report
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joUC23LASPk video demonstrating the bug
Klosteinmann
Registered Member

Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:40 pm
ckatko wrote:wait, really? In the same spots? Does it affect the whole video or just specific parts? With me, it's only specific parts of the video.

I think it was a different clip I was checking against on Premiere Pro, it's just like in your bug report I have the very same issue where in specific parts of the video the playback all of the sudden goes haywire. And it only affected the project monitor as well on the clip monitor I didn't have any issues with playback at the very same point on the video clip.

Edit 1: I have checked again and have it both in clip monitor and project monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TyyZBpQCbk