This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to fix "Document project folder is invalid"?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bigboss97
Registered Member
I'm using v20.12 on Windows10.
When I open a project I receive the message "Document project folder is invalid..."
What does that mean and how do I stop it?

Thanks

_=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=_
http://youtube.com/bigboss97
freeswfan
Registered Member
OS
Hi bigboss97,

a question in the right manner a bigboss will put. This is by far too few information to give a valid answer. But having had already some bosses in my working life I try to read your mind. Let's assume you are using the tool "toothbrush v20.12." This project is runnig in Windows(TM) 10 directly. Probably you did not discover yet, that in the depth of the menu structure of you favourite application toothbrush v20.12 the developpers have hidden some points and one of them is to define, where the tool "toothbrush v20.12" has to save your projects. Some of the developpers in this world know, that there are severral folders in Windows 10 should exist, because there is a big set of default folders, which are installed together with this operating system.

In your special case this folder (aka directory) does not exist. This causes your favourite tool to throw an exception, which is generating exactly this error message you had posted above. The countermeasure is: put on your diving clothes for software diving, dive deep through the depth of the menu structure of your favourite tool toothbrush v20.12 to find out, where the settings for the project folder is hidden. Correct this and you've made your day!

Probably my mind-reader features are a liitle bit tired today, because it is late in the evening?
Probably you had installed KDE neon in a virtual box application, and your question is - quite astonishing - really related to KDE! Instead of Microsoft Windows?

You see - already now I have two questions back to your one question from above! So please tell us all the environment information you can see easily - because you are sitting in front of the mess you want to describe. This serves as a good advice for the whole life itself: if you want to know something in detail, give the adressees a good chance to give you an answer.

But all applications in this world should work in similar ways as well - so the answer from above is also valid, if "toothbrush v20.12" is running e.g. on Ubuntu (flavour is not important! This is valid for Cinnamon, Mate and for KDE version)

Looking forward for a better standard in communication,

regards,

freeswfan
bartoloni
OS
bigboss97 wrote:I'm using v20.12 on Windows10.
When I open a project I receive the message "Document project folder is invalid..."
What does that mean and how do I stop it?

Thanks

you can select paths manually (try to change paths) on the menu'
SETTINGS-->CONFIGURE KDENLIVE

look at: PROJECT DEFAULT .. and FORCE a default path... like c:/users/bigboss/videos
also... look at: ENVIRONMENT (again on CONFIGURE KDENLIVE) switch to DEFAULT FOLDERS tab... and take a look at the paths...

to be sore to have access to all directories use only USER folders (like videos... documents... or maybe a newly created... like kdenlive-projects)

BTW... i think this is happening only with an already made project... this mean that you need to edit the .project file (maybe using notepad++) and check every PATH on it... probably there is a missing/renamed path on this file. (can you share this .project file?)

freeswfan wrote:Hi bigboss97,
"toothbrush v20.12."

this is a Kdenlive subforum i think everyone here is understanding that he's referring to Kdenlive 20.12.
bigboss97
Registered Member
bartoloni wrote:BTW... i think this is happening only with an already made project... this mean that you need to edit the .project file (maybe using notepad++) and check every PATH on it... probably there is a missing/renamed path on this file. (can you share this .project file?)

Thank you for the competent advice.
Indeed, I'm dealing with old projects. You know, I do similar stuff all the time. So I keep on copying from old projects from version to version. Usually, I simply click on OK and forget it. But from time to time I want to clean it up.
I looked in my *.kdenlive file and couldn't find any invalid path. I also did search for "default" or "project". Then I started removing elements until it became a blank project and I still got the message. I've attached the project. I wonder whether you would get the same message:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11jp34VSLXBPx44mmPtgEI2jeMX5kXilq/view?usp=sharing

_=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=_
http://youtube.com/bigboss97
freeswfan
Registered Member
OS
Hi Bartoloni,

thanks for the hint - I'm too new as a participant in a forum to be already aware, where I have to look first. Plus: thanks for making my "diving advice" more detailed and with that more helpful.

Hi bigboss97,

please accept my apology.

Kind regards,
FreeSwFan