This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Splitting a video into separate files

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
carebo
Registered Member
First of all I am quite new to kdenlive, sorry for asking basic questions...
I am trying to split a large video file into several separate files, one file for each scene. So far I have managed to place guides in the project timeline at each of the scene starting points.

When I rendered the scenes with the "guide zone" option, I discovered that each rendered file contains one frame of the following scene at its end. Apparently, rendering a guide zone includes both start and end guides. Does this mean that for my purpose I'd have to set one guide at the end of a scene plus another one on the next frame for the start of the next scene?

Or is this a totally wrong approach to what I'm trying to get? How would you split one video into separate scene files?

Thanks!
carebo
Registered Member
I forgot to mention that I'm using kdenlive 20.08.2 on Kubuntu.
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
carebo wrote:How would you split one video into separate scene files?

Drag the video to the timeline, drag the pointer to / stop the pointer at the cutting point, press Shift-R (or switch to scissors and click).
carebo
Registered Member
hgdrn wrote:
carebo wrote:How would you split one video into separate scene files?

Drag the video to the timeline, drag the pointer to / stop the pointer at the cutting point, press Shift-R (or switch to scissors and click).

Thanks for your reply! I have now cut the video into clips with Shift-R. How do I now export each clip into a different file?
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
Press the red "Render" button. ;)

Reading the manual might be great help for you, too. https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual
carebo
Registered Member
hgdrn wrote:Press the red "Render" button. ;)

Thanks, but that renders all of the timeline into a single file, even after cutting it into scenes. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to get one file per scene (or clip). Sorry if I didn't explain my problem well enough.

Meanwhile I figured out to do it by adding all scene clips to the bin ("save timeline zone to bin" in the context menu), and then placing each scene separately onto the timeline, rendering it, and removing it from the timeline. Then repeat for the next scene. That's quite tedious, and I was really hoping there's an easier way to do it. (With Kino, for example, you could cut a video into clips and then export all clips into separate files in one single operation. But Kino is unmaintained and frequently crashing.)

Maybe Kdenlive is not even the right tool for my purpose. If anyone knows a video editor (ideally open source) that can easily export several scenes into separate files, I'd love to learn about it.

Thanks again!
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
Avidemux may work for you

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
You can also use in and out markers, then render only the region. That way you can leave all the clips as you cut and sequenced them in the timeline and only change the in and out points. Use ALT and left or right arrow to jump from clip to clip start and end frames and then hit "i" and "o" to set the in and out point respectively. Then go to render and make sure you select "Selected Region" instead of "Full Project".
Hope this helps ...

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
carebo
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:You can also use in and out markers, then render only the region. That way you can leave all the clips as you cut and sequenced them in the timeline and only change the in and out points. Use ALT and left or right arrow to jump from clip to clip start and end frames and then hit "i" and "o" to set the in and out point respectively. Then go to render and make sure you select "Selected Region" instead of "Full Project".
Hope this helps ...

Thanks a lot! Yes, that works much better than my first attempt with guide markers.

hgdrn wrote:Avidemux may work for you

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net

Thank you too for mentioning avidemux, I'll have look at it, too.
hgdrn
Registered Member
OS
berndmj wrote:You can also use in and out markers, then render only the region. That way you can leave all the clips as you cut and sequenced them in the timeline and only change the in and out points. Use ALT and left or right arrow to jump from clip to clip start and end frames and then hit "i" and "o" to set the in and out point respectively. Then go to render and make sure you select "Selected Region" instead of "Full Project".

Cool, didn't know that. Thanks!