This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDEnlive Optimum Computer Configuration

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Superuser
Registered Member
I have been using KDEnlive for years on my general Linux Laptop. I now want to configure a specific desktop for optimum performance. I am defaulted to 6 video/audio tracks and 4 audio only tracks. 3 of the videos are for chromakey overlays. I have heard in the past that the editor only uses 1 CPU. I hope this has changed.
Currently I am using version Version 16.12.2 with Debian with a Mate DE. I would be willing to change OS and DE to the most optimum configuration.
I've walked through the forum and didn't see anything about this topic.

Which is the number of CPUs now being used and speed. Also optimum amount of memory that would be beneficial. Most software suggest minimum requirements. I am looking for optimum without buying more than what is needed to make KDEnlive work without chugging and operating slowly with this heavy usage. Thank you in advance.

On a different topic, I would like to see scroll buttons be in another color contrasted to the scroll bar. With the current screens, if off angle a bit it is hard to see the scroll buttons.

I am having trouble with my email so please notify using: themichiganoldfarmer@gmail.com
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
My rig has an AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Threadripper, 32GB DDR4 RAM and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070. I run Windows 10, Ubuntu Studio and Modicia OS.

My advice is to invest in CPU and RAM and SSD. I just rendered a small project in kdenlive 20.12.3 and it maxed out all my CPU cores (16), consumed just 9GB of RAM (7.5GB when not rendering), but did not use the GPU that much. Future versions of kdenlive may add more GPU support for rendering.

It pretty much depends on what you want to do. Are you handling 4k or even 8k footage? You would need more RAM than with HD, of course. The more effects you use, in particular on top of each other, the better the CPU needs to be to do all the number crunching. I also recommend a decent size SSD for caching and storing proxy clips, and a separate HDD for archiving projects or stock footage and imagery.

On the OS, I tested several distros and ended up with Ubuntu Studio and Modicia OS. Both are geared towards audio and video and graphical productions and come with lots of app pre-installed and configured. Modicia OS looks very much like Mac OS, Ubuntu Studio is slightly cooler in appearance but can be themed and further customized.
I have also stopped to use the package/repository versions of kdenlive and started to use the appimages. I just stick it into a folder under /opt and am done with it. No hazzle. And that allows me to always use the latest version and use previous ones if there are issues or new bugs.

In short: get the best CPU you can afford, 32GB RAM is certainly enough, and to be future proof get a GPU with lots of onboard video RAM.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
bartoloni
OS
Right now i'm also using a 1700X Ryzen (16 threads) with 16Gb of ddr4 and an M.2 SSD.. and all threads are fully used during rendering (the VGA card can't be usefull at this time)

Superuser wrote:On a different topic, I would like to see scroll buttons be in another color contrasted to the scroll bar. With the current screens, if off angle a bit it is hard to see the scroll buttons.

you can download different color schemes from here: https://store.kde.org/browse/cat/112/order/latest/
gubbamonster
Registered Member
OS
I had a similar problem recently. I just edited about 1 hour of 1080/30fps footage down to about 12 minutes and about 500 different segments in the editor. I also had a few transitions (slide) and it was chugging really hard (while I was editing specifically). My PC is pretty good, and nothing was even close to half way used. For some reason KDEnlive was limiting itself to 3.2 gb of ram, even though I have 16 gb and ram was only up to 40% usage during editing. I considered buying an upgrade to 32 gb, but deemed it not worth it because it's not even close to using max ram. Any suggestions?

My specs:
i7-2600k
GTX 1050 4GB VRAM
DDR3 TridentZ 16gb RAM
600W PSU
Currently running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Thanks,
Gubba Monster
paityncombs
Registered Member
You'd be wrong if you think the new iMacs can't be as good as they look. They're not just outwardly better than their 21.5-inch predecessor, advertising a new face that comes in several different colors. They also come with fresh new specs that use Apple's new M1 chip, making it much more powerful than previous Intel iMacs. I read an article on https://zumroad.com/tech that the future is in the mac; I agree. It's a multifunctional pc.