This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

WMV freezes at playback, can't skip frame by frame

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tzsebe
Registered Member
Hello,

Maybe someone can help me with this:

(running Kdenlive Version 19.12.3; Ubuntu 20.04)

Kdenlive is pretty solid for most videos I edit, but I stumbled upon a couple that behave really strangely:
  • If I play, it freezes for several seconds before starting playback.
  • If I then pause, it skips ahead several frames and pauses there
  • If I drag the clip to the timeline and try to move around frame by frame, it's just frozen... eventually it starts "moving" (after skipping about 120 frames), but also behaves erratically.
  • If I quickly render a short ~10 second clip, playback is just frozen (and jitters a bit).
  • The original clip plays perfectly fine in VLC

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd guess the frame rate KDEnlive sees and the actual frame rate are different, and it's causing it to get majorly confused.

Video Specs (right click -> properties, in my file viewer):
  • Container: Advanced Streaming Format (ASF)
  • Dimensions: 1280 x 720
  • Codec: Windows Media Video 8 Screen
  • Frame Rate: 25.00
  • Bit rate: N/A

When I drag the clip into KDEnlive, it gives me the option to switch profiles to a 720p 30fps, and this behavior happens whether or not I do that. Funny how it detects 30fps, when the media info says 25fps. That's why I'm thinking that's close to what the issue is.

FWIW, I don't *think* the video is interlaced, based on not seeing the familiar horizontal striping effect.

I suspect the solution will be either to install some codec that kdenlive needs, but VLC already somehow has, or to transform it in some specific way with ffmpeg and then edit that instead. :)

Thanks!
Merlimau
Registered Member
Could you check with the AppImage from the download page to see if this is an packaging issue.