This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Everything slowed to a crawl

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markng
Registered Member

Everything slowed to a crawl

Sun May 23, 2021 7:08 pm
I just installed 21.04.1, standalone, on windows, along side 20.12.3 standalone.
Running the 2 side by side, the new version is really unbearably slower, from
rendering to startup to just about anything. I admit I am on a lower end box,
the difference is really big.

Is the dev team interested in optimizing it a bit in the next release?
bartoloni
OS

Re: Everything slowed to a crawl

Sun May 23, 2021 8:10 pm
i not saw any difference on speed from 20.12 to 21.04 (on my PCs) and there are no reports about it... please add more infos .. like hardware platform and if you deleted the configuration files before installation of 21.04
berndmj
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 23, 2021 8:28 pm
System specs would be good, like RAM size, CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD size and free space, swapfile etc.

With low RAM running two kdenlive instances may tax your system beyond believe ...

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
markng
Registered Member

Thu May 27, 2021 6:29 am
berndmj wrote:System specs would be good, like RAM size, CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD size and free space, swapfile etc.

With low RAM running two kdenlive instances may tax your system beyond believe ...

Note: when I said side by side, I did not mean at the same time. I should have said something like "back to back", my bad wordings.
Yes, I am aware dbus-daemon sticks around after I close the application, I kill those too before starting another version.
Since they are "standalone", I have both installations at the same time, so config would not be an issue I believe.

But otherwise thanks alot for the reply, spec as such:
Pentium Gold 6405U 12.0GB RAM Windows 10, its a 120GB SSD I am not sure what kind though.
Yes, rendering sometimes peak past physical+virtual RAM (at which point it simply stalls, no error or anything.. an out of memory error would be a bonus), but I am talking about start up, drag and drop clips, being much slower...

[Edited: I've got no GPU I don't think so, not a fancy box, it's a as low end as you can much get]
bartoloni
OS

Thu May 27, 2021 7:28 am
can be related to the Intel VGA? and what is the native resolution of screen ( i suppose 1920x1080 ) ?

can you open taskmanager and watch (when your launching Kdenlive) what are the percentage differences of CPU and HDD usage? ( launching .. +20% CPU.. 100% HD ... something like that)

or better... post the "performance" tab screenshot?
markng
Registered Member

Thu May 27, 2021 7:43 pm
bartoloni wrote:can be related to the Intel VGA? and what is the native resolution of screen ( i suppose 1920x1080 ) ?

can you open taskmanager and watch (when your launching Kdenlive) what are the percentage differences of CPU and HDD usage? ( launching .. +20% CPU.. 100% HD ... something like that)

or better... post the "performance" tab screenshot?

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have since up'ed the virtual memory allocation and performance has since improved.
My resolution is 1680x1050, and yes I believe it is intel's onboard video, I think it shares video memory, not sure.

Yes I am embarrassed, I don't really know how to attach images, I wonder if the following links will work
21.04.1 CPU during startup https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vqr45t15d8mlqs/newcpu.png?dl=0
20.12.3 CPU during startup https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6xptedqyqbewf8/oldcpu.png?dl=0
I start them twice back to back and look at the second start, I tried only a couple times, but seems consistent

As for memory, I let it sit for a while before screenshotting this (first col is private bytes (allocated memory), second is working set (memory taken), third is PID, forth is CPU)
21.04.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0wemlz4pa8h7xk/newmemory.png?dl=0
20.12.3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/is9k74nqhlnciva/oldmemory.png?dl=0
I tried a few times, they are fairly consistent.. ~50mb difference may not seem much, on the other hand, it is a 11% increase, for something sitting there not doing anything. And it may explain why upping my virtual memory helped.. I might have exhausted all phy+virt memory before.

I do wonder if you set up 2 VMs similar to what I have, will be able to recreate it...
bartoloni
OS

Fri May 28, 2021 9:09 am
looking at the stats there are no differences (not critical) on the % of cpu/ram usage of the 2 versions...
no idea what is happening on your system.
bartoloni
OS

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 pm
markng wrote:
bartoloni wrote:
I do wonder if you set up 2 VMs similar to what I have, will be able to recreate it...

i'm very interested on this BTW.. probably i can't see this difference because maybe my hardware configuration is fast enought to not have visual issues...

can you make 2 videos grabbing Kdenlive window when it's visible something lagging... or frame skipping.. (on Windows... Sharex is a good screen-grabber if this kind of software is needed.)

maybe moving faster the cursor on the timeline on the same project can spot the difference on a recorded screen...