This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Gnome: UI icons unreadable, white on light grey background

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
neekfenwick
Registered Member
Hi all, I've come back to KDEnlive for a project after a few years away, now I'm on Fedora 34 running Gnome with latest KDEnlive from repos (21.04.1). I've added video and audio clips, edited, render, all basic functions are OK. The issue is that the UI icons are showing as white on a light grey background and are almost invisible. Text is rendering black no problem, e.g. the main menu, tab labels (Effects, Project Bin etc), the timeline time codes 00:01:06 etc are all OK.

For example, just under the main menu at top left there's an Effects panel with filters on top. From the tooltips I can see they filter the effects e.g. All Video, All Audio, All Custom etc, but the icons are invisible. I've added a Mute effect to an audio clip and can see the Mute options in the Effect panel but it's almost entirely invisible so I cannot edit its properties.

I don't see how to attach a screenshot here easily (according to the board admin has disallowed it, grr)

https://imgur.com/a/3zyKJsU

I've tried both Xorg and Wayland desktop options, to no avail. I've changed the Settings->Style options, the colours don't change. I can't find any other options that might change the colour scheme. I've gone into Gnome Tweak tool and changed the theme/colours of the desktop, nothing helps.

Is this a KDE/Gnome problem, and how should I resolve it? Thanks!
neekfenwick
Registered Member
Aha! As is often the way, just after crafting a post describing the problem, I found a solution.

Settings->Force Breeze Icon Theme was on. Turning it off fixes the problem.

I've no idea what/why this icon theme is forced on by default. Hopefully this might help others out there.
neekfenwick
Registered Member
I searched for "breeze icon" on the forum and noticed someone on Ubuntu installing a theme pack, so did a search via dnf on my Fedora 34 system:

# dnf search breeze-icon
========================== Name Matched: breeze-icon ===========================
breeze-icon-theme.noarch : Breeze icon theme
breeze-icon-theme-rcc.noarch : breeze Qt resource files

The first was already installed, but the second one wasn't. Installing it has made the 'Force breeze icon theme' menu option work, the icons are now visible. So, that's an alternative solution to turning off that menu option.

Not sure if this is a packaging problem with kdenlive, that it doesn't depend on breeze-icon-theme-rcc, or what.
arkaitzswagman
Registered Member
neekfenwick wrote:Aha! As is often the way, just after crafting a post describing the problem, I found a solution.

Settings->Force Breeze Icon Theme was on. Turning it off fixes the problem.

I've no idea what/why this icon theme is forced on by default. Hopefully this might help others out there.

Hello,
it did help me, thank you!