This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video playback while editing still choppy and lagging

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mszorady
Registered Member
I'm running Kdenlive Version 20.04.1. I tied the newer version but ran into problems with codecs and not being able to render a file. Kdenlive Version 20.04.1 is the standalone version running in Windows 10.

Despite running proxy clips, video playback during editing is still choppy. This wasn't happening until I tried to upgrade to a newer standalone version. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Merlimau
Registered Member
Try Help -> reset configuration. If the playback is still choppy empty the cache Settings -> Manage Cached Data. Update your graphic driver. I hope it solves the problem.
mszorady
Registered Member
Merlimau wrote:Try Help -> reset configuration. If the playback is still choppy empty the cache Settings -> Manage Cached Data. Update your graphic driver. I hope it solves the problem.

Thank you!:) I'll give these steps a try. Great y appreciated!:)
mszorady
Registered Member
mszorady wrote:
Merlimau wrote:Try Help -> reset configuration. If the playback is still choppy empty the cache Settings -> Manage Cached Data. Update your graphic driver. I hope it solves the problem.

Thank you!:) I'll give these steps a try. Great y appreciated!:)

Well, I did both of these and no difference. The clips in preview seem to get choppy over time. At first, everything is nice and smooth, as the editing process continues, the preview becomes more choppy. Closing the program and starting over seems to repeat the process...Smooth at first, then choppy over time as I edit things.

This did not happen when I first used the program. I've been using it for years. Again, Kdenlive Version 20.04.1.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
Try one of the nightly builds.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
mszorady
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:Try one of the nightly builds.

Where do I find these?
bartoloni
OS
mszorady
Registered Member
mszorady
Registered Member
Just as an update, I have not installed the nightly build. I'm still using my current version of Kdenlive. what used to be a very snappy and vibrant program is now slow and choppy. This appears to happen over time as I edit. It starts out quite snappy. then, over time, while editing, it begins to drag and video preview becomes choppy. the way to correct this is to close the program, open and start editing where I left off...until it starts to drag again.

I'm going to install the nightly build that was given to me.:)

I'll report back soon.:)

EDIT -- Is there a standalone nightly build? Wait...I just checked. would the .7z file be a standalone? I fond this:
https://binary-factory.kde.org/job/Kden ... _64-gcc.7z
mszorady
Registered Member
Ys, I saw the additional information that states that the .7z file is a standalone file. Unfortunately, my Windows system doesn't decompress those kind of zip files. Can anyone recommend a reliable utility for this?
mszorady
Registered Member
Okay, as an update. I have not yet tried the nightly build standalone. Trying to find a reputable decompression program. Far too many apps in the Microsft store have negative reviews setting that they are riddled with ads, etc.

Currently, I'm using version Kdenlive Version 20.04.1. the thing happening here is this: Regardless of turning on proxy clips, the preview editing screen slows down and and becomes choppy. I've cleared the cache, I've tried proxy clips, I've adjusted preview settings to a lower pixel rate...nothing works. The program starts out smoothly and robust, then quickly degrades to being choppy with lots of lag.

Closing the program and reopening result in snappy performance again until the lag creeps back in.

My clips are between 1 and 3 gigs in size. I'm shooting video at 1080 30 FPS. I'm editing on a Windows 10 system with a Core i7 processor and 16 gigs of RAM. A mere months ago, the program ran so smoothly under the same conditions of clip size, etc. I was singing its praises. Now, it's 180 degrees opposite. Really scratching my head on this one.
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
mszorady wrote:Closing the program and reopening result in snappy performance again until the lag creeps back in.

Looks like this memory management issue: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/970

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
mszorady
Registered Member
berndmj wrote:
mszorady wrote:Closing the program and reopening result in snappy performance again until the lag creeps back in.

Looks like this memory management issue: https://invent.kde.org/multimedia/kdenlive/-/issues/970

Thanks you for this. I skimmed thorugh the thread and it appears ot read that there is no way to release memory for this. However, I have some good news (and thanks to all who've helped me throughout this thread). I downloaded 7zip from https://www.7-zip.org/. I unzipped the nightly build (standalone) and got it running. I had the QT render problem and fixed that...although, I cannot now remember what I did to correct it. It could be that the issue has been resolved with this newer build and all I needed to do was start it twice, as suggested.

Anyhow, it looks like the video in the preview window now plays smoothly and with no issues. I ran a test or letting the video play and zooming in and out of the timeline. The preview Window appeared to be smooth and steady throughout the test. Moving forward, time will tell.