This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

File loss after reinstalling the software

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fanialivio
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I'm using Kdenlive professionally since 2016 in an Ubuntu workstation, and I'm very happy about it. Though, today a real disaster occurred...

I noticed that since version 20 Kdenlive was saving automatically files in a software version folder (ex. 26) inside the snap folder in home.
At the beginning, I thought this method was practical, since centralized everything in a single folder avoiding to have broken links for video/audio input.

But today, after the usual update of Ubuntu software, Kdenlive was not working. The links were not responding, even by writing the name on bash I had an error telling that one library was broken.

It already happened to me a couple of times, and the solution I had was removing and installing again the software from the Ubuntu software center.

Though, for a strange reason I don't understand, by doing this today, Kdenlive installed a new folder from scratch, DELETING ALL files that were inside...and hours of works on them...

I ust would like to know:
1) if this is normal and if every time we install a new version of the software it will create a new folder deleting all the content inside
2) if there is any way to rescue the files I lost (maybe in some hidden folder?)

Any help is appreciated,
Thank you very much

Livio
Merlimau
Registered Member
This should not happen. What type of package do you got from the "Ubuntu software center"? The official packages are AppImage, flatpak and PPA.

See here where the files are stored: https://community.kde.org/Kdenlive/Configuration