This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fade out video: why duration goes from 0:29 to 1:00?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ppazos
Registered Member
OS
When Fade out or in is added to a video, and I adjust the duration to be really small, if I go down from 1:00 the next value is 0:29.

Is that correct?

If the last value is milliseconds, shouldn't that be 999 or 99?
bigboss97
Registered Member
Usually the last number indicates the frames in a second.

_=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=__=_
http://youtube.com/bigboss97
bartoloni
OS
ppazos wrote:I go down from 1:00 the next value is 0:29.
I

your project uses 30 (or 29.9) frames x seconds

this mean that 0:29 is almost a second.. and 1:00 is a second.
i suggested some time ago to have a secondary timeline view with tenths of seconds.
ppazos
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, that is kind of strange that the duration expression mixes time and frames. IMO it's just plain confusing. Would be better to have one field for the time expression and another for the "frames in second", so both could be independently configured. Also it's not clear in the UI that the last portion of the expression is for "frames in second".
berndmj
Registered Member
OS
ppazos wrote:Thanks, that is kind of strange that the duration expression mixes time and frames.

Actually, this is the standard in the industry ;-)

The smallest increment in a video is the frame. You measure in frames per second (fps), so there is no point in showing tenths of a second or milliseconds.

Could the GUI be better to make it easier to differentiate this for ppl new to video editing? Perhaps. Davinci and Vegas PRO are also not that much better in that department, btw.

This forum will soon be archived and you won't be able to interact with it anymore. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
ppazos
Registered Member
OS
berndmj wrote:
ppazos wrote:Thanks, that is kind of strange that the duration expression mixes time and frames.

Actually, this is the standard in the industry ;-)

Good to know, I'm not in the industry of video editing, just trying to edit some training videos for my students :)